Question about Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Small fire in above range microwave, now completely dead.

I made a handwarmer with ceramic cooking beads & corduroy. I was warming it per the instructions & it caught fire. Now the microwave isn't working at all... the panel lights are out, the inner light is out, it doesn't beep when buttons are touched. It was a small fire, there is no melting or physical damage that we can see (other then it really smells smokey) It is a Whirlpool MH7140XFQ I was wondering if there is a fuse box I can check before we replace this... Thank you in advance for your help.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Whirlpool Master
  • 9,098 Answers

It probably put too much heat in the "innards" of the microwave and probably opened the thermostat or thermal fuse located inside -either on the chassis of the microwave or or the magnetron. If you or a friend is handy and wants to check and replace it, it's not a hard job as long as you play it safe. It will look something like the attached photo. In my profile you can find a link to my site where you can find critical safety & disassembly tips. There will be numbers on the side indicating the temperature and you can take the old one to a local appliance parts store to get a new one. NOTE: The one for the hood fan will read open at room temperature, so don't confuse it with the other two thermostats, which will read closed at room temperature. Post back if you need more help.

Posted on Dec 24, 2006


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

My panasonic caught a fire,what should I do other than unplug it

Caught fire how, where? Inside the cooking area??? In the control area behind the timer ???

Jun 16, 2017 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Over cooked noodles ,food caught fire, no visible external damage,some smoke black, but control panel dead completely.What can i do ?

Probably the main fuse has blown. If there is damage to the inside of the microwave I would seek professional service to ensure that seals are still working.

May 08, 2015 | Goldstar Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

While baking a sweet potato, the potato exploded and caught on fire. The microwave no longer works.a fire bro

I haven't heard of such a thing. You must have cooked it until there was no moisture left in the potato. That would also account for the failure of the oven. It would be the same as no load in the oven.
A thermal protect part is your current problem.

Apr 02, 2014 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a new Sanyo EM-C877B microwave and following instructions in the manual 3.Microwave cooking or any cooking options I will select the Micro Power 1000W then press Start, turn the dial to choose a...

I suggest you revisit the instruction manual and ensure the new microwave is not performing as per instructions.

If that is so you should contact the supplier without delay.

Sep 08, 2017 | Sanyo EMC8787B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Last 2 times food cooked in microwave caught fire why?

Make sure the oven is clean and that the wave guide is not damaged or dirty. It's a heavy paper like thing on the wall that can deteriorate or get dirty and cause fire.

Dec 16, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave caught on fire.

I agree! That is an extreme hazard. Possibly due to over voltage of the power supply or faulty relay systems. Emerson is usually a cheaper brand anyhow. I would get the money back instead of exchange.

May 22, 2009 | Emerson Black Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Potato caught fire during cooking. Microwave has

Hello, inside most microwaves, there is a thermal fuse, that if something in the cooking cavity is on fire, it will melt the thermal fuse, if it gets hot enough, thus breaking the power to the unit shutting it off. This sounds like what has happened to yours, simply replacing it will correct the problem. It is usually located near a cavity exhaust point. If you aren't comfortable doing this, as it requires removing the outer cover, while unplugged, and locating/replacing it, take it to a appliance service co. This will of course cost more, if you do it yourself, make sure you provide all of your make/model/serial/anything else, that will identify your unit, and call/go online to a parts retailer, and you should be able to get it done fairly cheap.

Hope this helps, and thank you.

Mar 01, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Yam caught fire in microwave

If you have given the microwave enough time to cool off and it still does not work then I would suggest that you would need a new one, as the circuit board may be fried that connects the control panel.

Jan 14, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Decor DMO2420 Microwave caught on fire

Please write back with more details if this reply doesn't solve it.

(Such as, Was the fire inside the cooking cavity? Has the inside been cleaned since?)

There is a cavity temperature fuse located under the outer cover, on the top left side of the cooking cavity. It is rated at 150 degrees centigrade.

If there is a fire, that will open, killing all power to the unit.

A replacement can be found at a local appliance parts company.

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.


May 29, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Fire from top of Microwave

It's not a dangerous or diffcult job for a do-it-yourselfer.

That would be the waveguide cover (also called the stirrer fan cover), and it would need to be replaced to prevent future damage to the magnetron.

Check your model number sticker to get the full model number with suffix and the manufacturer number (PACO1860AB0 for example).

Then you can find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here:

Good luck and good cooking!

We appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Nov 11, 2007 | Amana ACO1860 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven Logo

369 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Whirlpool Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 2 Expert

228 Answers

Are you a Whirlpool Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides