Question about Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
My microwave oven isn't heating my food. Everything else works, the fan, the lights and the keypad. The microwave turns and sounds like everything is working but the food won't get hot. It is only 6 months old. Please help. Thank you.
My Whirlpool microwave, over the stove, stopped working when my son used it to heat his food and a heavy sound came out, like something exploded in it. When I check it, there was nothing broke. Everything works fine except that it does not heat. I will appreciate any help
Posted on Nov 09, 2008
I am using Sharp-R-888B model Double Grill convection Microwave oven. I am facting the problem of non-heating at Microwave cooking. The oven is working fine in Grill & convection cooking mode. However, when i try to use it in normal microwave cooking, aparently everythin works perfectly like, light, fan, keypad, beeps etc., however it does not heat. As referred in the solution I checked the door switch & found them working fine. Kindly provide some solution
Posted on Feb 04, 2007
Quite often this is due to a bad door switch located inside behind the area where the door hooks go into the oven. Opening the door while cooking (without first hitting the STOP pad) is the primary cause of door switch failure. I have a text file on my Web site called "doorsw.txt" which helps in diagnosing and repairing door switch problems, and a file called "safety.txt" which is of vital importance. You can check my profile for the Web link to find them. In some cases, the problem is a bad connection or a bad relay on the control board. That's something we see from time to time, and we repair those nationwide for $32.50, but it's usually a door switch. If you still have a problem, please repost with more detail. Be safe!
Posted on Dec 23, 2006
My microwave oven it is a westpiont 17liter isn't heating my food. Everything else works, the fan, the lights and the keypad. The microwave turns and sounds like everything is working but the food won't get hot. It is 3years old. Please help. Thank you.
Posted on Jul 21, 2010
9 Out of 10 Times when there is no heat and everything else works fine it is the Magnetron. The other 1 from the 9/10 is the HV (High Voltage) Diode that connects to the HV Capacitor.This is the cheaper fix of the two with them being usually under $12. The Magnetron is rather high ranging from approx. $50 and up.If you look on Ebay you generally can find many replacement parts that are in good working order and save some bucks.There are Magnetrons going for $18-25 on average and Diodes for $3-12.If you have a rather loud HUM coming from your micro-it is then generally the Magnetron.IF anyone does get inside their micro PLEASE MAKE SURE TO GROUND OUT&DISCHARGE YOUR CAPACITOR Before doing Anything! You can find the info to do it by searching on the web. There is very much high voltage inside these EVEN AFTER you unplug it and can hurt or kill you.With that said,I hope this helps many of you.
Posted on Apr 17, 2010
Microwave dude, In all my years of serviceing microwaves and consumer electronics, have I ever had a manufacturer say press stop before opening the door? I have been doing microwaves since the first gigantic size ammana microwave oven came out. I mean what does hitting the stop button have with the door switches? Its only a contact normally open or normally closed switch rated at 30 amps, and they are there only for safty reasons, no great rocket science my freind. So it cannot be because of the power consumpson? A door switch is bad or good unless it is mis alighned on the nylon or plastic mount it is mounted on to hit the door activators. Yes contacts do go bad sometimes in the switches but the most trouble I have seen with door switchs have been mechanical. They get jammed with grease and dirt. I have even seen peeps take the info you provide to them from other techs and cause great harm, as the oven does not shut down when you open the door. Hitting the off or stop button 100 % makes NO differance what so ever, as I have never hit my stop button on my micro if I want to check on something. This is not a flame sir but I think you use a switch as a problem too much. This is only my opinion as well as a few other appliance techs. A consumer should never go inside an oven to test unless they know how to trouble shoot high voltage equipment! I think a little more warning about this is due. Not just a sales pitch about how you may be able to fix their oven boards as most could do it themselfs if they have a soldering iron.
Posted on Dec 23, 2006
Check for a failed door switch. I had a similar problem and had to bring it to an appliance repair shop. There are four switches in my Jenn-Aire microwave and I guess when one fails, so do the others. Cost me $48 ro repair.
Posted on Aug 06, 2009
Take the cover off and make sure the fan is able to spin freely. The housing around the fan on mine was flimsy and was hitting it and keeping it from heating up. I bent the housing out of the way to allow the fan to spin freely... fixed. Hope yours is a easy fix like mine.
Posted on Apr 02, 2009
I installed a new whirlpool gold microwave yesterday- it is fully functional in all aspects- except when you try to cook food. When you hit the start button, the microwave sounds like it is about to start, and then it stops- so its not like it is running and heating food- it just won't get itself up and running in the cook function.
The fan, control pad, clock, under micro light, etc- all work. Is there something wrong here?
Posted on Jun 27, 2010
I just unplugged mine and plugged it back in and it is now heating again (the light, fan and "turntable" had not stopped working). It was much like you 'power down/power up' your computer to clear things
Posted on Oct 16, 2014
My Maytag microwave just stopped heating tonight while everything else worked. I tried turning the vent on low after reading that above solution and it worked. But for the past 6 years, I never had to do that.
Posted on Jan 31, 2008
Could it possibly be because the safety is tripped?
Posted on Oct 13, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
This is typical of a failed magnetron: the part which actually supplies the microwaves.
By their very nature magnetrons can fail without warning from the day of manufacture but the vast majority do last longer than the manufacturer's warranty. I have noticed a trend towards more frequent premature failure with increasingly powerful ovens.
If the magnetron has failed then there is nothing you can do to fix this as it must be replaced. It's also typically the most expensive single component in most ovens so is rarely an economic repair.
Your appliance should still be within the manufacturer's warranty so you should follow their advice regarding getting the oven repaired. If you're in the UK then you have Sale of Goods Act protection for up to six years from the purchase date and if you wish can insist that the retailer replaces the oven or refunds your money as the goods were not "of satisfactory quality".
Posted on Oct 16, 2009
Small component called a diode. Open up the microwave and try to find a black (usually) component that is most often connected between the magnetron (the thing that heats the food) and the chassis of the microwave oven (ground). I used to make a fortune replacing these! Costs about 5 bucks most appliance supply stores. Make darn sure you get one of the same value.
Posted on Apr 06, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Apr 01, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 25, 2011 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Aug 12, 2010 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
May 08, 2010 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
Apr 06, 2010 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
Jan 31, 2010 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
Oct 16, 2009 | Maytag MMC5000 Microwave Oven
Aug 17, 2009 | Frigidaire FMV145K Microwave Oven
79,668 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: