I have an Acer Aspire 5920, I formated my drive trying to uninstall vista with fix-it ulities (so my hard drive is blank) I bought windows XP but when I try to install it the blue screen comes up and says I need to change my BIO's to non shadowing but I cant seem to change that in my set up. What can I do to load the XP? I dont have any start up disks either.
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check if your hard rive indicator light is flashing (has disc shape icon or can shape icon next to it). If it is then put in your windows disc and do a startup repair. Make sure it is booting from the disc drive first. if it isnt flashing then you may have a dead hard drive. Try taking the hard drive out and putting it back in.
Acer aspire has inbuilt web camera and therefore will work only if the correct drivers are installed. Please uninstall the drivers first from control/panel/add remove programs. Next reboot the system and then go ahead with the installation.
Try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers. If you don't have drivers the link is at http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles%5CDriver/Camera/Camera_Suyin_220.127.116.110_Vistax86.zip?acerid=633639037841030905&Step1=Notebook&Step2=Aspire&Step3=Aspire%205920&OS=V10&LC=en&SC=AAP_2
if you have a recovery drive given by your laptop then simply open it and there is a option to format os and reinstall it.... if recovery drive is not there then you should hav a recovery cd....then simply put this cd into cd drive and then restart system ...at boot time it will ask for format vista....and others option....
You seem to know a bit about computer so I will give you a good detailed solution which might be of help. READ CAREFULLY
I guess that the main issue here is that your hard drive might be corrupted. I am also afraid that you might have erased or repartitioned your computer on a previous occasion if the recovery is not working. Please not that the Acer 5920 you mentioned has an automated system recovery system saved on to your hard drive. Did you by any chance Reformat the whole thing when you got the laptop? Because if thats the case and you removed the EISA partitions there is NO WAY you are going to get the recovery to work.
SOLUTION 1: USING RECOVERY CD's or DVD's
If you backed your system up when you first bought it and you created the CD's DVD's boot from them and recover the system that way. I am afraid that these will erase your C drive and will restore it to the original state when it was at time of backup. BEFORE all this you need to recover any data? In that case do the following:
1. remove the hard drive if you have important data.
2. Put it in a hard drive enclosure (which plugs in USB) and hook it up to another computer XP or VISTA doesn't matter both should work fine.
3. Then backup the folders you would like to make a copy of onto the hard drive of the other computer.
4. Then connect it back to the laptop (obviously make sure that when you remove and plug in this hard drive the laptop is off). And perform the recovery.
SOLUTION 2: If still all the above doesn't work.
If you do not need to backup anything there is no need to do the first 3 steps but you will need another computer
1. Do steps 1 to 3 above to make sure that you backup everything at least
2. Go to my computer on this to which you connected the drive computer Format the hard drive of the laptop (Making sure that before this step you backed up all the important data because you will lose it!)
3. Perform full format (this will take a while) and format it as NTFS, while formatting see if you can hear any funny noises. It could be a good sign that the hard drive is out. During format you should almost hear nothing. if you hear a repeated CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK type of noise. Get another hard drive and repeat the above 3 wsteps
4. Get hold of an XP or VISTA installation disk according to what you had on laptop
5. Go to acer website and download all the drivers for the laptop you have and burn them on CD. If you already have a driver disc of the laptop you can skip this step but make sure that you have everything you need on it
6. put hard drive back in Acer 5920
7. Boot from the installation disk XP or VISTA. HINT KEEP the SAME OS if you had XP install XP ... if you had VISTA install VISTA
8. When it asks for serial number look underneath the laptop and key in the serial number from the fancy label you have underneat. It should be a 20 numbers and letters separated by (e.g. xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx)
9. Follow instructions and perform a full install
10. Now install all the drivers you have on that disk. These are like small programs. Install one after the other until you install them all. Reboot when asked to reboot... Do not choose reboot later!
11. Phew by now you should have a laptop working again. Isntall office antivirus and antispyware software and GET BACK the data from the other machine.....
Hi Acer supply the restoration files in a hidden partition on your hard drive. If it is the same as mine try this. Start the pc, then while the Acer logo is showing, press ALT & F10 at the same time. Then just follow the instructions. Bear in mind that this will format your C drive so you should do a backup of any important data first. Hope this helps.