Question about GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
When microwaving anything for more than 4 or 5 minutes at a time or about 8-9 minutes total (high heats, defrost can go about 10-15), the oven will completely shut off. Not just stop heating but power and everything as if the circuit blew and there is no way to reset it until it turns itself back on 20-30 minutes later. Now is it possible this is simply because the charcoal filter is older and so it is not recycling the air properly, or is it something more than that (needs a new fuse, etc)? Any help would be great!
First of all, yes, the charcoal filter should generally be replaced every 6-12 months, or as otherwise specified in your owner's manual.
If the filter clogs, that will block air flow, which is critical to keeping the magnetron cool and safe.
If the magnetron overheats, its thermostat trips, shutting off power to the oven until it cools back to a safe level.
You can remove the filter, then try the oven a couple of times.
If it works right, then you know it's the filter.
If it still fails, then your fan may be out or the magnetron may just be dying.
Also check and be sure your air filters are clean. They can be washed, while the charcoal types cannot.
You can order new filters here.
We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.
Posted on Nov 24, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Aug 08, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1740 Microwave Oven
Mar 09, 2014 | CorningWare Microwave Ovens
Sep 18, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 01, 2011 | Emerson MW8107WA Microwave Oven
It sounds like the magnetron may have
either failed or is not being supplied with the extremely high
voltage required to run it.
Make sure the !!!!capacitor is discharged!!!!! before attempting any sort of repair.
Check the door interlock switches first then the high voltage diode with either an AVO model 8 on high resistance range for short circuit, the capacitor can fail and go short circuit, the feed fuse on the primary of the high voltage transformer and then finally, the magnetron is best checked by substitution.
Hope that helps.
Jan 03, 2011 | LG LMV2083ST Microwave Oven
Jan 01, 2011 | Samsung Microwave Ovens
Jan 22, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Dec 07, 2007 | Kenmore 62642 / 62644 / 62649 Microwave...
115 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!