Question about LG Microwave

4 Answers

Burning wire smell

I only have had this microwave for about 6 months. Today after school my children heated up an after school snack in the microwave and I smelt something burning. I looked all around and could not find anything. I had the windows open so the smell went away. Around diner time I used th microwave to warm up somthing to go with diner and I once again started smelling the burning wire smell. This time I unpluged the microwave.

Posted by on

4 Answers

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 706 Answers

Hello jvtmad1,
All of the previous comments are relatively good ideas but let me offer some additional advice,
First off, You need to determine if the burning smell is coming from the Microwave itself or from the receptacle that provides power to it. Most wall receptacles are rated for 15 amps and should easily handle your microwave ovens power requirements. A simple check might be to run a hair dryer on the same receptacle without the microwave plugged into it. They draw comparable power so that should eliminate the recptacle as the culpret, On the assumption that the burnt wire smell is coming from the microwave itself, then your best bet is to return it to the store for a repair or replacement. Unless you are properly trained on how to sservice that, you probably shouldn't attempt it. As stated in previous comments, it should still be under warranty. If you have a bad filament transformer, magnetron or the wiring between them, that is not something you want to fiddle with yourself.
In summary, eliminate the receptacle on the wall as being the problem first.
If you find tha your receptacle is the problem, then you may be able to remove or disable power to it by switching off teh appropriate circuit breaker or fuse.. then take off the face plate and check the integrity of the wires going to that receptacle and making sure they are tightly secured to the terminals of the receptacle. I would assume that if that were the problem, you would notice a burnt smell as soon as you took off the face plate. Hope some of thes ideas help you resolve your problem...
Regards,
Rick

Posted on Nov 22, 2008

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

    Corporal:

    An expert that has over 10 points.

    Mayor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 19 Answers

It sounds like to me that the power cord is not supporting the wattage the microwave is putting out check the fuse box and see how many amps the breaker is if it is less than the microwave you will have to move it or get a lower watt microwave

Posted on Nov 21, 2008

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points

    Hot-Shot:

    An expert who has answered 20 questions.

    Corporal:

    An expert that has over 10 points.

    Mayor:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Expert
  • 67 Answers

You should first check the electrical outlet for overload or slack connection .if u dont know how get an electrician. your microvave does not seem to have any problems since it continues to heat your food. to make further comformation about the elect. point plug something else that has similar power ratings as the microwave and check for the same burning smell . hope this would be of help

Posted on Nov 21, 2008

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • LG Master
  • 8,871 Answers

Since it's less than one year old, it should be fully covered under warranty.

I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get it fixed free.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Nov 21, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My Kenmore 721.626222 which I have had about 6 years, runs but does not heat. There is also a strange smell - something like a burning smell.


When the oven does not heat, the problem is usually due to the magnetron failing. It the part that generates the microwaves that heat the food. It fails by shorting out causing a loud buzzing noise. The burning smell is the being magnetron overloaded due to the short. It not worth fixing since the replacement cost of a magnetron is close to the price of a new oven. Sorry.

Feb 09, 2011 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave is 6 monthes old. will run table will turn but not heating properly hearing strange sound and smell.


Hi,


Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....

Basic
Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101


][]\=-=

Dec 27, 2010 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Model 63259 bought about 2 months ago. I went to


you can check and see if there is a fuse on the microwave, if not it may have just burned out, its probably still under warranty so try to take it back for a replacement

Jan 14, 2010 | Kenmore 63252 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My microwave is not heating and I smell wire


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101
jkllkj

Dec 16, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a Kenmore Elite microwave oven... 69-65e05590-000637. We noticed that it would not heat food or liquids... played with the power level a bit and it started to heat again...then a day or two later we...


Is this oven still under warranty? If so, take advantage. If not, remove the power plug and the case. Short out, with a screwdriver, the large can-shaped capacitor with two terminals sticking out. Check the wiring and circuit board for signs of burning. If everything looks ok, remove the thin sheet metal wave guide that sits above or beside the microwave energy port into the cooking cavity. Under the sheet metal, there is a metal fan-like device called a 'stirrer' that has a plastic bearing. Remove this stirrer and smell the bearing. If it smells like the burning wire smell, replace the stirrer. You can buy it through 'Sears Parts' online.

Sep 14, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

MY SAMSUNG MW6574W OVEN FUSE BLOWS AFTER 4-5 MINS OF REHEATING-NO SMELL OF BURNING -EVERYTHING ELSE WORKS FINE- NO LOOSE WIRING-ALL BULBS WORK FINE TOO- THE FOOD HEATS UP FINE EXCEPT THAT THE FUSE BLO


the insulation of the wiring has detiorated and with temperatue rising it further deteriorates. thus increasing the current consumption and blowing the fuse

May 21, 2009 | Samsung MW6575G/MW6574W Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Bosch HMT8655GB, after being used no heat and cuts out at 22 secs


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101

e6tuwe

May 12, 2009 | Bosch HMT8655GB Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My sharp microwave is under 6 months old. I was


It may be a shorted high voltage diode.

Since it's less than one year old, it would be fully covered under warranty. I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get it fixed free.

You can contact Sharp at 1-800-BE-SHARP (1-800-237-4277) or visit them online.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Feb 28, 2009 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burn at bottom of microwave


First try cleaning the burned mark off. Dip a scrubber in lemon juice and sprinkle salt on it; this is also great for burned coffee pots. The smell can be gotten rid of this way: Boil lemon peel in water, then put the water in a spray bottle. Not only will it make your microwave smell fresh but the lemon oil will make it easier to clean. If it still smells of burning rubber, take the back off and inspect the wiring. IF you see burned wiring, please do yourself a favor and replace the microwave!

Microwaves work by making the molecules in food get "excited"-they move more-meaning, if there IS rubber burning, then there will be minute molecules of rubber in your food, which is BAD for your immune system. If it's just burned chocolate, though, it is harmless unless you are allergic.

Apr 03, 2008 | Danby DMW1400 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
LG Microwave Logo

1,277 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top LG Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8871 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

sonic boom...
sonic boom...

Level 3 Expert

1557 Answers

Are you a LG Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...