Question about Goldstar MV-1501 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Makes loud hum and faint smell when turned on

4 years old eveything works but all of a sudden when you turn it on it makes a loud humming noise, like it is running hard, then you can smell a odor like hot wires or something hot - it does not heat up the food --should i just throw it out or can i change a fuse or something? hanks
marsha

Posted by on

  • jjwc1226 Dec 04, 2008

    I had the exact same symtoms on my 2 and a half year microwave oven. From what I have read, it is the magnetron. Part is covered by warantee and the labor is not. I tried to get Goldstar/LG to pick up the labor charge but after a couple of weeks I got word that they refused. Crappy thing to do in my opinion because it is almost new. I don't think I'm going to be buying any more of their products.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Goldstar Master
  • 8,820 Answers

It sounds like your magnetron failing.

If a fuse were blown, it would be totally dead with no lights, no display, etc.

Keeping it out of the landfill a while longer by getting it fixed is always an option.

If it's within the magnetron portion of the warranty (usually 5-9 years) but out of the original full warranty (usually 1 year), then your manufacturer will cover the part cost, but not the cost to visit you or the labor charge to do the work.

For Goldstar / LG / L.G. help, call 1-800-243-0000 (M-F, 7am-8pm CT, Sat 8-5 CT) and choose the appropriate prompt from the menu or visit here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Nov 21, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

My new GE over the range microwave works fine but has a loud buzzing/humming noise when in use


This sound you describe is not normal and should be checked quickly, even if it means returning the item.

Mar 27, 2012 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My NN-P295 wouldn't allow me to turn off the light about a week ago, so it remained on all the time. Then last night it was making a strange clicking noise. I got up to find the source of the noise and the...


It sounds to me you have short in the keypad controller system, from your description this is a very dangerous fire hazard situation, and the microwave in my view should replaced.

Feb 21, 2011 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

The unit is 3 years old and when I turn it on there is a loud hum. Theunit also does not heat but turns the turntable?


From your description it sounds like the magnetron has failed in this oven. That's the part the makes the microwaves to heat the food. It typically fails by shorting out and making a loud hum noise. It not usually worth fixing since the price of a replacement magnetron is almost as much as a new oven.

Jul 01, 2010 | GE Profile Spacemaker JVM1871 Microwave...

1 Answer

Magnatron suddenly making more noise. Much louder


Often over the years the Transformer laminations can loosen, from the on/off rising and collapsing magnetic fields, and then they sorta hum louder. I suspect this is what is going on. Shouldn't be too much of a worry.. keep an eye on it tho.

Jan 20, 2010 | GE JVM2070 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Generic problem for all Kenmore Microwave


Loud hum is usually due to faulty hv diod, resonance capacitor, or the magnatrone feed thru capacitor , chk it with a ohm meter , one by one n replace it .. zaheer Islamabad

Dec 31, 2009 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Our Sharp microwave oven turns on, makes a loud humming noise, starts to smell like something is burning, but doesn't heat. Well, actually, we don't think it heats, we're too scared to let it run because...


Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} This can be caused by grease etc. inside the oven and on the wave guide which is the paper like thing in the oven. If you can remove it look for burnt areas which may can be scraped off or you may need to replace it. An appliance parts store usually has the material you can cut to fit you own.

Dec 10, 2009 | Sharp R-530ES Microwave Oven

1 Answer

JVM 1660WB 003 GE Profile Microwave humming sound/burning smell


the magnetron the unit has gone bad.sometimes there is burning smell as u mentioned.it is little expensive repair arond $ 150.00.find out the price of new unit plus iistallation/delivery chg and then make a decision.

Aug 17, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker XL1800(JVM1850CF001) - Loud Humming noise


You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or www.geappliances.com) or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.

Dec 18, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Makes a loud humming noise while operating


Almost certainly, the component called the "magnetron" has died. This is the valve (tube in the US) which actually generates the microwaves. The loud humming is the transformer that supplies the magnetron being overloaded and/or the magnetron itself. If the rest of the appliance is OK and not too old, the magnetron can be replaced. If you aren't familiar with these appliances, you *must* get this done by someone who understands the dangers of messing with them - if you get it wrong, they can bite! In some countries, only qualified engineers can buy the spare parts. In the UK, the part costs around £40 - £80, depending on the model. If the appliance is more than around three years old, it may be a false economy to repair it as other parts may fail soon after the repair.

Sep 24, 2007 | Whirlpool MT1110SKQ 1100 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Maytag Rangehood Microwave Loud Humming


Sounds like you just fried your magnetron. Normally when they go bad, they make a very loud noise like what you described. The smell concerns me because you may have ruined the waveguide as well. If the magnetron burns through the protective painted surface of the waveguide, the waveguide is ruined. In most microwave ovens this means replacing the entire unit because the waveguide is not replaceable. Putting a new magnetron in a damaged waveguide will result in the same arcing and eventual failure. In addition to the magnetron, the following components are part of the same high voltage network: HV Transformer HV Diode HV Capacitor Magnetron Thermal Cut-Out Any one of these components could have also been damaged. I DO NOT recommend taking any voltage measurements inside the HV network. Potentials of over 4000 volts can be reached and make it very dangerous for the do-it-yourselfer. Taking resistance readings with the unit unplugged is strongly encouraged. If you decide to pursue a repair, inspect the magnetron tip and inside of the waveguide first. If the magnetron is melted and/or there are burn marks inside the waveguide, a new microwave may be a in order. This actually may be a better option than an expensive repair. I hope you find this advice helpful.

Jul 31, 2007 | Whirlpool GH4155XP Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Goldstar MV-1501 Microwave Oven Logo

280 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Goldstar Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

SHARCNET-USA
SHARCNET-USA

Level 3 Expert

2124 Answers

Are you a Goldstar Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...