I am having trouble with connecting onto the internet using this device. I have narrowed down the problem to the Linksys router device. The device powers up, shows connection lights operable, all cables are functional, I have repeatedly turned off/on the modem, router, and cpu waiting for 5 min. I wanted to know if: 1) there are driver uploads to fix the problem, 2) the device itself is Vista noncompatible, 3) others have experienced this same problem, 4) an exchange is the only solution. Please help! Many thanks!
The router is not OS dependent (it works on its own). You should upgrade or re-flash the FIRMWARE Go to Linksys website, locate your product model, download the firmware and save it on your computer. Information on how to access your router and applying the firmware update is available on the same page.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The Linksys G router gives you both wired and wireless connections over a broadband Internet connect to create a local area network. The Linksys router is compatible with wireless G and B devices, through the 2.4-GHz wireless band. The wireless speed is at 54 megabytes per second and you can get 100 megabytes per second with a wired connection. You have to set up the wireless configuration on the Linksys before using it on your network.
Plug the router's power cable into an electrical outlet. Attach an Ethernet cable into the Internet port on the back of the router. Connect the other end into your broadband modem. Connect your computer to the Linksys G using another Ethernet cable. This Ethernet cable can go into any of the wired router ports. Open your Internet browser. Type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar and hit "Enter." This is your router's IP address and the home of its Web configuration page. Click "Wireless." Click "Manual." Alter your SSID, also known as your network name. You can change this name to any value that you want. You can also change the wireless channel if you are in an area with many wireless connections that may interfere. Click "Save Changes." Click "Wireless Security." Choose an encryption method to encrypt your wireless transmissions. WPA or WPA2 are common security protocols you can use in wireless networks. Input a network key, also known as the network password. Click "Save Changes."
The bars on your laptop or iPhone means that you are connected to the router! Not necessarily to internet. Your internet depends on ISP Internet service provider and modem which connected to your router. To check if you have active internet connection connect your laptop directly to modem provided by your ISP with ethernet cable and try to open a internet browser IE or Safari or Chrome or Firefox and open a webpage! If you are able to connect internet by this mean you have internet connection active. Now disconnect your lap top from modem and connect modem to your Linksys router using WAN port of LINKSYS! Its good to power off and power on (power cycle) once on modem and router to make it work!
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
You have the right device to connect the two computers on your home network. Once you are connected to the router and internet on both computers, make sure that both computers are members of the same workgroup name.
While both computers are on, go to My Network Places and click on view workgroup computers, you should see the other computer as well as the one you are sitting at.