Okay, set it up with the cable company so that the computer is running off of the new modem ONLY! Now, READ the book for this one, you need to go into the router using the 192.168.xx.x address, which comes from the book. You need to emulate the MAC address of the computer you set up to use the service first. Dlink routers are cheap, but if they were easier to use they would cost more. I do high speed for a cable company.... later..
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
You have two choices to achieve your goal (which I understand is to have both you desktop plugged by Ethernet and WiFi throughout your home) :
1. The cheapest way : You need not be replacing your cable modem, but adding a router to it. There are numerous routers which are WiFi enabled. You can then plug your PC to the router and have WiFi.
2. The cleanest (but less cheap) way : There are cable modems on the market which will do the job, like the Motorola SURFboard SBG900 DOCSIS 2.0 Wireless Cable Modem. Once plugged in place of your old modem, depending on your provider, you will either have to download and install the software for your new modem (which should be prompted on your PC when you try to access the Internet), or call the provider to activate the new modem.
Are you trying to set up the router using CD ? Sometimes the CD does not work. You can set up the router manually without CD. Now! the first thing is that you have WRT160N router. This router has issues with the firmware. I will advise you to upgrade the firmware of the router. Download the new firmware of the router from the web site and upgrade the firmware. REset the router and reconfigure the router. You will need to open the set up page of the router to upgrade the firmware.
This router has lot of issues with the firmware. Firmware is the software of the router. First thing you need to do is upgrade the firmware of the router. If you connect your computer directly to the modem it will go online. Download the firmware of the router from the web site www.linksys.com/download .
Now connect the computer and the modem to the router. open the router set up page. upgrade the firmware. After upgrading the firmware, reset the router for 30 seconds . Unplug the power and plug it back in. wait for 1 minute and reconfigure the router.
Click here for more information about the router and router set up
First try connection the Yellow ethernet cable from the rca modem to your computer's network connection. If you get a connection this way, then your modem will work with a ethernet cable. If not, then call Comcast for help. The modem ethernet out to computer port must be connected to the wan line of the router. Then you can connect an ethernet cable from your computer network connection to one of the 4 ports of the router. For wireless connections you must set up the router and wireless adaptor with the same settings to connect. Follow the routers directions.
1. Please verify the model and version of the router underneath it. 2. Go to http://kbserver.NETGEAR.com/downloads_support.asp and select the model of the router. 3. Please click on the appropriate version of the router. 4. Select the link of the latest firmware. Please click on the button Right-click and Save to Download. 5. Save the file to the Desktop.
Note: Please perform firmware upgrade with wired or Ethernet connection only. Before you upgrade, write down all current settings as you need to enter them manually after upgrading.
6. Using the computer hardwired on the router, open any web browser like Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator. 7. Connect to the router by typing http://routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm or http://192.168.1.1 in the address field and click Enter or Return key. 8. A window will prompt for a user name and password. The default username is "admin" and the default password is "password".
Note: If it does not take password as the password, you might have changed it when you have run the NETGEAR Setup CD so please try other passwords. If you cannot remember the password, you need to reset the router and run the Setup CD to reconfigure it.
9. Click on Maintenance and then Router Upgrade. 10. Click Browse and locate the upgrade file in your Desktop. Click Upload. 11. Please wait for the router to reboot. 12. Reset the router.
a. Please push the reset button at the back of the router and release after 30 seconds. b. Unplug the power adapter for 10 seconds and then please plug it back in.
ok, ur old modem was configured for those two devices to work to gether
so u have to do the same here
*have ur modem connected directly to ur comptie
*go to ur command prompt if u have vista ( start * search * type cmd)
xp (run then type cmd)
the type in the screen that poped up ( ipconfig) enter
*look for default gateway type that in ur browser address
*should take u in ur modem interfase go to (advandced | PPPlocation | then set that modem on
BRIDGE MODEM and the modem should restart then connect router that should do it