Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Wolf Microwave -- Loud Pop and Sparks

The microwave power unit is dangerous and making loud popping noises with electrical sparks

Posted by on

  • William Miller
    William Miller May 11, 2010

    Quite
    often this is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the
    cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

    The
    waveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually about the
    size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

    In some models it is a larger stirrer cover type made of thicker plastic in the ceiling of the oven.

    It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

    The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

    If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

    Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

    If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

    Please let us know if this does not take care of it or it is not applicable.


×

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

Is it safe to use your microwave if it pops like this all the time randomly... And sometimes lights up in the back like a spark or something???

Posted on Feb 22, 2012

6 Suggested Answers

  • 43 Answers

SOURCE: microwave no heat

The "HUMM" indicates a breakdown in the High Voltage Side. The loud "POP" was the breakdown. You have only four Components in the High Voltage side.

1. High Voltage Transformer. You can eliminate this as the problem. Why? If it was the problem it would have blown the line fuse, and would have given off a burned transformer smell.
2. High Voltage Diode. Usually will Burn or Pop when shorted, but will then OPEN the Circuit and there is no "HUMM".
3. High Voltage Capacitor.This is the Silver Can with the two terminals on top. It can SHORT internaly between the plates (the two terminals) and give the "HUMM".
4. Magnetron. This is my number one suspect. A SHORTED Magnetron.

Posted on Feb 03, 2008

  • 1 Answer

SOURCE: loud pop and microwave doesn't heat anymore

I have a GE Profile Spacemaker model JVM3670WF001, purchased I think in 2003. Pop sound, no Heat. Light goes on, carousel goes around,
Repair or new microwave

Posted on Sep 08, 2009

Karthik316
  • 187 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave made loud popping sound and now does not heat.

Hey,
Try this
Probably a high voltage diode popped because contaminated grease eventually built up and made a path for a high voltsge arc to occur.. To confirm,take the outer cover off the microwave and discharge the high voltage capacitor by shorting its terminals. Then pull the plug off the magnetron side and place it near the magnetron socket. Now turn the microwave on and push the connector on the magnetron with a chopstick or a long insulated screwdriver. If no arc when you do this this confirms a bad diode.



please rate my suggestion..

Posted on Apr 13, 2009

MicrowaveSvc
  • 8820 Answers

SOURCE: microwave oven just died

If it went dead almost immediately after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a shorted high-voltage capacitor.

If it went dead a few seconds after pressing the Start pad, that's usually a failing high-voltage transformer.

Once you've looked over the safety warnings, here are some useful links:

http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/cap_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/diode.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/mag_test.html
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/xformer.html

You can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here: http://tinyurl.com/gv383

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jan 13, 2008

Illeagle
  • 525 Answers

SOURCE: loud pop with smoke

Don't know why just plugging it into a new outlet would cause that unless you have a problem with that outlet. Sounds like it may have burned out the low voltage circuitry. I would advise having the outlet checked and certified safe before plugging anything else into it. Also, it sounds like the oven is toast, (Sorry!)
You can get parts on-line from AppliancePartsPros.com/Parts

Posted on May 24, 2008

MicrowaveSvc
  • 8820 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave made a loud pop,won't

This is almost certainly a blown high voltage diode.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you.

Posted on Jul 05, 2008

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Frigidaire PLMB209DCB 1200W Microwave. Mfg 2005. Started sparking and loud popping. Scorched cardboard covering. Worth looking at to repair?


No, Your better off buying a new one. Sounds like the Magnetron is acting up and that is the most important and dangerous piece of hardware in the Microwave.

Jun 08, 2011 | Frigidaire GLMV169 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Loud popping noise after being plugged into 50 amp power source possible power surge unit in rv unit light still works but no power to make unit work.


What happens a lot in these RV microwaves is that a surge will damage the circuit board and sometimes also blow the low voltage transformer.

These are problems we can usually take care of for $39.95 and $54.95 respectively.

You can get more information here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

May 25, 2011 | Sharp R-1850A Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Keurig makes loud noise and sounds as it refills


hIi would return this should be under warranty

Jan 22, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

My goldstar above the stove microwave popped and now won't heat. Everything else on the unit still works. Is this a problem that can be repaired? Thanks.


Did it make a loud pop like a firecracker?
Sounds like the High Voltage Diode shorted out and it probably is making a low or loud growling noise now..... ???

Sep 11, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Saw sparks and heard a pop noise when we hit ''start'' on microwave


We just had the same problem - spark, loud noise, and then dead. At first I replaced the ceramic fuse and the same thing happened immediately. A local appliance store tested the transformer and found it was "bad." I purchased a used transformer from the store for about $35. I installed both of these myself with little effort.

Sep 08, 2009 | Dacor DMO24SS Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Not working plmv169dc


HI, the sound you herd was the noise filter and running diode. these important components have failed at this point. you will need to replace these components asap, if possible. this will fix your issue.

The Magnetron Cut-off fuse will need to be replace as well. this will blow if there is a malfunction within the unit.

Jul 22, 2009 | Frigidaire PLMV169DC Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Problem with GE Microwave Model JES1358WK 02


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Microwave Oven Basic Troubleshooting Tips

heatman101
q

May 30, 2009 | GE JES1358 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Is the microwave possibly dangerous after it popped & now smells


Hello jeffnlaur,
The sound you heard could be any number of things but I would attempt to verify the basic preformance of the microwave was ok by placing a cup of water in the cooking compartment and switching the micro on for about 2 minutes.. The water should be close to or at a boil after this time ( depending on glass type and power output of oven). Listen for any other irregular sounds while it is running. You may have heard something in the soup pop or some of the electronics within the micro arc but it may not mean it is dangerous. Try the water test first and if it continues to exibit internal noises and burning a burning smell, I would discrad the oven. Table top models are very inexpensive and the cost to diagnose and repair would probably exceed the cost to replace,
In terms of dangerous, there are safety devices to cut off power to the magnetron and other components if warranted. Not sure that helps you but with limited info from your side, diagnostics are 'iffy' at best..
Regards
Rick

Jan 09, 2009 | Panasonic Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I was boiling water on the electric range beneath my FRIGIDAIRE FMV157GC 1.5 Cu. Ft. Microwave Oven when there was a loud snapping/popping noise occured. I immediately shut off the microwave and thought...


Hi,

I would say the transformer for the power supply has probably shorted, or another major component in the power supply has shorted - This may be repairable if easily spotted, but most likely will not be cost efective.

Sep 04, 2008 | Frigidaire Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave made loud popping noise


The magnetron is bad. Probably cost about $50 or $60 for the part. Not too easy to replace, but it can be done.

Dec 13, 2007 | Whirlpool MH7130XE Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

1,706 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8820 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17129 Answers

Devabhakthuni...
Devabhakthuni...

Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...