Hi! I believe your having some issue with your router and I will be more than glad to assist you in this concern..Time warner cable is your isp and if the computer is connected directly to the modem, you have a perfect internet connection but if you are going to connect the cable from your modem to the router and you connect your computer to port 1 to 4 of your router it will not give u an internet connection. This is what we are going to do.
1. connect your computer that can get an internet connecttion thru time warner cable to the router on port1.
2. pull up a browser and type in the default gateway of the router, to check the default gateway of the router, right click the network icon on the lower right of the task bar and click status and it will show the ip address, subnet and default gateway, ex the default gateway is 192.168.1.1, u are going to type in the default gateway ip address to the url of the browser.
3. It will ask u for the username and password, by default the username is admin and the password is 1234 or just leave it blank.
4. It will pop up the setup page of the router and you have to look for the setting for doing a mac clone, you need to clone the mac address of your pc that can connect to the internet thru time warner cable modem.
5. once its done, save the settings and on the internet connection settings, manualy configured it to auto-dhcp. save the settings.
6. once its done..unplg the power of the computer, router and modem.
7. cable connection should be, cable from the modem goes to the WAN port of the router and connect cable on port 1 of the router to your computer on the lan port.
8. Plug in 1st the power of the cable modem, once all lights are lit then plug in the power of the router, once all lights are solid on the router, like the power, WAN, u will notice that there is no light on the port1, computer is still off, once the computer is on port1 will lit, then power on the computer..once computer is completely boot up, pull up a browser and it should gives u an internet connection.
9. Once you have an internet connection, u can access again the setup page of the router to setup the wireless connection settings.
10. If you are going to connect another to the existing router that is conneted to the time warner cable. that is possible, but before u connect the 2nd router to the 1st router..
a. connect the 2nd router to a computer to set it up..you have to access the setup page of the 2nd router.
b. once you access the setup page, there is a menu for the lan settings that is for the router side. u need to change the 3 octet of the ip address of the 2nd router. ex your 1st router ip address is 192.168.1.1 and the 2nd router ip address is 192.168.1.1 to change the 3 octet of the 2nd route, the 2nd router ip address should be 192.168.2.1. then save the settings..
c. the router will reboot and need to access the setup page of the router by using the 192.168.2.1 and u can set the wireless connection settings.. once its done..
d. cable connection should be---cable from the time warner cable goes to the WAN port of the 1st router, connect a cable to port 4 of the 1st router going to the WAN port of the 2nd router.. this process is called cascading two routers on a network.. this should work.. good luck
Aug 16, 2009 |
ViewSonic (DHWMG120) Router