My E61i screen suddenly goes blinking and blank
Let me guess ... you dropped the phone at least once recently?
Well, I did the same, and the first three times I got it working by smaking it face-up on the table (literally!). However, this morning was the last straw, and I could not get it working again.
However, I now know this is an easily repaired problem that someone with very basic skills and tools can tackle. With the earlier crude remedy I suspected a loose contact, and this was confirmed by squeezing the phone just right between the power light and the speaker I got the backlighting to work. To fix it, the steps are:
- Remove battery cover
- Remove battery
- Start disassembly by removing top rear shell (the bit with the lens cover) by gently prising with a small screw driver. There are five catches - one middle left, one middle right right, one center bottom, two at the top +/- 1/2" from the edges. Gently remove the in the same direction as you would the battery.
- Remove front shell by undoing 4 screws now visible on the rear of the phone, one at each corner. Itis a funny torque screw, but I used a small flat and it worked OK
- Turn the phone face up. Right at the top and about 1" from the left there is a red screen connector (you'll see the copper of the screen's strip cable terminating there). Gently press down on this connector to reconnect, and Hey Presto!
- While you're about it, remove all the dust and muck in the phone.
- Reverse the steps for re-assembly
If you do not feel up to it, take the phone to an agent or repair shop with these instructions. It is a 5 minute job and they should charge accordingly!
May 12, 2008 |
Nokia E61i Cellular Phone