Question about Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven
My microwave made some flashing and buzzing when I heated frozen sausage (only for 10 seconds then I stopped it), and then gave out strong burnt plastic smell. Now if I put a glass of water in it, it will turn and light up, but in a few seconds there will be strong plastic smell, and no heating as far as I can tell for that amount of time. What might be the problem with it? Is it self repairable? (Sharp R-161X overrange model) Thanks for the advice
I would first suggest that you look inside the cooking cavity to see if your wavegudie cover is burned or carbonized. If so, it will need to be replaced. You can order one via Tritronics at http://www.wehaveparts.com The job of the waveguide cover is to protect the waveguide (opening) and the magnetron from buildup of food particles and grease. When the grease and food particles build up on and behind the cover, they will carbonize and arc - and maybe even flame up! The solution is to clean it and keep it clean - but if it's too dirty or is burned, it must be replaced. Sometimes it's necessary to remove the cover to clean both sides of it, and to clean the edges of the opening it covers. It is sometimes held in place with a small plastic rivet (or screw) and once that is removed, the cover will slide over a little then drop down. Be VERY careful not to get cut on the potentially sharp edges of the opening, and do not spray anything into the opening. Apply an alcohol-based cleaner (such as the purple kind) and /or gentle scouring powder to a cloth or paper towel and carefully wipe it out, then when it's dry, reinstall the cover and the rivet. I suggest to my customers that they NEVER use any ammonia-based cleaner (like the blue stuff) on a microwave, since the ammonia will crack and distort polycarbonate plastics. Once you remove and / or clean the cover and clean the opening of the waveguide, if it still won't heat and/or still has the smell, you may have a bad magnetron or high-voltage transformer. Feel free to post back if you still have trouble.
Posted on Dec 07, 2006
Could be your transformer burnt out which normally smells like burning plastic and PCP ointment.
Posted on Sep 16, 2014
A metal and glass thermous was heated in the microwave and now it smells and i am not sure if it works i am afraid to try it. my question is will it be okay to try it and if it will work, how do i get the awful smell out of it?
Posted on Feb 11, 2009
The same thing happend 3 years ago to our microwave it made a BLUE FLASH And BUZZING noise I stopped it as quick as I could and my dad said that it was a circle thing like one of the things in a sewing machine, But smaller. So we got a new microwave and it's still working.
Posted on May 29, 2007
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 23, 2016 | Maytag Microwave Ovens
May 26, 2014 | Frigidaire Microwave Microwave Oven
Jun 07, 2011 | Whirlpool MH7140XF Microwave Oven
Mar 09, 2011 | Danby DMW902 Microwave Oven
Hi, Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with your Microwave Oven....
Microwave Oven Troubleshooting Tips
Aug 02, 2010 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven
Jul 01, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 02, 2010 | Microwave Ovens
Nov 08, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Mar 11, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Apr 10, 2007 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
6,580 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!