Question about Computers & Internet
When Outlook Express is configured for POP3 mail access it uses a file
called pop3uidl.dbx to keep track of which message have been downloaded
so that it can download only new messages. Sometimes this file becomes corrupted which results
in the same messages getting downloaded again. So we will need a
different copy of this file. Please do the following to recreate it:
- In Outlook Express click on Tools and Options.
- Click on maintenance tab.
- Click on Store folder button.
- It will open a small window with a path to the store folder.
- Copy the whole path.
- Click on start and Run.
- Click inside the run box and press Ctrl+V, it will paste the whole path we copied.
- Click on OK. It will open the store location.
- Close Outlook Express.
- In the folder that was opened, locate the pop3uidl.dbx file and right click on it and select rename.
- Rename that to pop3uidlold.dbx.
- Open Outlook Express and you will no longer receive any duplicate messages.
If you are using IMAP account, that can happen if your IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both:
In Outlook Express click Tools > Options, then
1. Remove the check mark for When starting, go directly to my ‘Inbox’ folder
2. Remove the check mark for Send and receive messages at startup.
If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools > Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.
Hope that helps! Don't forget to rate this a Fixya if it helped.
Posted on Nov 18, 2008
Reconfigure your account only way.
Posted on Nov 18, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
May 27, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Jan 12, 2015 | Computers & Internet
Aug 19, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Jun 09, 2014 | Computers & Internet
Mar 28, 2013 | Dell Computers & Internet
Aug 25, 2011 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
Mar 22, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Feb 28, 2011 | Acer Aspire 5535-5050 Notebook
Aug 24, 2009 | Computers & Internet
103 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!