Question about Computers & Internet
When Outlook Express is configured for POP3 mail access it uses a file
called pop3uidl.dbx to keep track of which message have been downloaded
so that it can download only new messages. Sometimes this file becomes corrupted which results
in the same messages getting downloaded again. So we will need a
different copy of this file. Please do the following to recreate it:
- In Outlook Express click on Tools and Options.
- Click on maintenance tab.
- Click on Store folder button.
- It will open a small window with a path to the store folder.
- Copy the whole path.
- Click on start and Run.
- Click inside the run box and press Ctrl+V, it will paste the whole path we copied.
- Click on OK. It will open the store location.
- Close Outlook Express.
- In the folder that was opened, locate the pop3uidl.dbx file and right click on it and select rename.
- Rename that to pop3uidlold.dbx.
- Open Outlook Express and you will no longer receive any duplicate messages.
If you are using IMAP account, that can happen if your IMAP account is the default mail account and OE is configured to both open directly to the Inbox (which downloads headers automatically) and check for new messages when starting (which also downloads headers automatically). To stop the duplicates, simply choose one option or the other, but not both:
In Outlook Express click Tools > Options, then
1. Remove the check mark for When starting, go directly to my ‘Inbox’ folder
2. Remove the check mark for Send and receive messages at startup.
If you already have duplicates showing, click Tools > Synchronize Account or Synchronize All.
Hope that helps! Don't forget to rate this a Fixya if it helped.
Posted on Nov 18, 2008
Reconfigure your account only way.
Posted on Nov 18, 2008
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 30, 2017 | Microsoft Outlook Express
Jan 13, 2011 | Acer Aspire One PC Notebook
Jul 10, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Oct 12, 2009 | Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Jul 02, 2009 | Microsoft Computers & Internet
Apr 10, 2009 | Microsoft Outlook Express
Mar 05, 2009 | Computers & Internet
Aug 01, 2008 | Microsoft Office SharePoint Designer 2007...
Mar 24, 2008 | Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Jan 04, 2008 | Audio Players & Recorders
103 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!