Question about Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
I recently moved into a house that has cable modem internet access. There is a cable coming out of the wall that goes into a small black box, provided by Comcast, and from there a blue cable runs into my desktop computer, its a USB cable. Its called a Motorola Surfboard Model: SB5120.
In my old apartment I had broadband internet access. It was a plug that looked like a phone cord but slightly larger. I was using a Wireless-G Broadband Router by Linksys Model: WRT54GS, to get internet access to my laptop.
I tried hooking this router up with the cable modem by running an ethernet cable from the Surfboard to the router and then into my laptop. When I get a list of wireless networks in range on my laptop the router shows up with Excellent strength but I can not gain access to the internet.
So My Question Is: Is there a way to use my old Broadband Router with cable modem access or would I need to by a Router designed to be used with a cable modem? OR Is there an accessory that would allow me to use my old Router with cable modem?
Thank you for your help!
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
Hope this helps!
Posted on Nov 17, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Dec 30, 2010 | Routers
on Jul 14, 2010 | Routers
Aug 22, 2010 | D-Link AirPlus DI-524 Wireless Router
Jul 14, 2009 | Belkin (F5D8231-4) Wireless Router...
Jan 19, 2009 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Dec 07, 2008 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Nov 17, 2008 | D-Link DIR-625 (790069292637) Wireless...
Oct 21, 2008 | Arris WR850G Router (DHWR850G)
Jan 16, 2008 | NetGear Super G WGT624SC Router...
Do you have DHCP enabled on your PC? Sounds like you are not getting the IP address.
Oct 05, 2007 | Belkin (F5D8231-4) Wireless Router...
May 08, 2014 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
299 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: