Question about Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
I recently moved into a house that has cable modem internet access. There is a cable coming out of the wall that goes into a small black box, provided by Comcast, and from there a blue cable runs into my desktop computer, its a USB cable. Its called a Motorola Surfboard Model: SB5120.
In my old apartment I had broadband internet access. It was a plug that looked like a phone cord but slightly larger. I was using a Wireless-G Broadband Router by Linksys Model: WRT54GS, to get internet access to my laptop.
I tried hooking this router up with the cable modem by running an ethernet cable from the Surfboard to the router and then into my laptop. When I get a list of wireless networks in range on my laptop the router shows up with Excellent strength but I can not gain access to the internet.
So My Question Is: Is there a way to use my old Broadband Router with cable modem access or would I need to by a Router designed to be used with a cable modem? OR Is there an accessory that would allow me to use my old Router with cable modem?
Thank you for your help!
You can still use your existing Linksys router with your cable modem. In fact the router your have is designed to work with DSL/Cable Broadband connections.
1. Make sure to properly connec the devices in your network. Modem will be connected to the Internet port of the router. Then, laptop will be connected to one of the 4 Ethernet ports of the router. For initial setup of your router with modem, you need to hardwire laptop to the router.
2. Press and hold reset at the back of the router for about 15 seconds.
3. After 15 seconds turn off the router and then turn off the modem. Wait for a minute.
4. Power on modem and wait for the lights to be ready.
5. When modem lights are on, turn on router.
6. There should be 4 lights on. Power should be steady green. Internet, WLAN and Ethernet port.
7. Checked if you have Internet connectivity on your laptop while it is wired to the router.
8. If Internet is working, disconnect laptop from wired connection to the router and check available wireless network that laptop can detect.
9. The default wireless network name that the Linksys router broadcasts is "linksys". Connect to it which is an unsecured wireless network.
10. Once you are successfully connected, check Internet.
Hope this helps!
Posted on Nov 17, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 03, 2015 | Tablets & eReaders
on Jul 14, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Dec 30, 2010 | Computers & Internet
Jul 27, 2010 | D-Link Air DWL 520 802.11b (DWL-520)...
Nov 04, 2009 | Adapters.com Computers & Internet
Jan 19, 2009 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Dec 07, 2008 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Nov 17, 2008 | D-Link DIR-625 (790069292637) Wireless...
Oct 21, 2008 | Arris WR850G Router (DHWR850G)
Oct 26, 2007 | Efficient Networks SpeedStream 5200 Modem
301 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: