Question about Frigidaire GLMV169D Microwave Oven

Open Question

Trouble shoot Frigidaire Micro GLMV169DSC.

120 VAC at transfortmer.
Trouble/circuit chk highvoltage side. Discharge capacitor (safely)
Attempting to isolate defective highvoltage side part and not just replace all. Possible??

Posted by on


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Lg micro wave turns on but doesn't heat

A word of caution.......if you are familiar with microwave ovens, you know how to discharge the big capacitor in the seconday-circuit, and what can happen if you don`t! BE CAREFULL!

If your microwave oven runs normally, but won`t heat, suspect a primary-circuit fuse. Always replace with a fuse of the same voltage and amp rating. Also, check all electrical connections. Again, be sure to discharge the big capacitor so as to avoid dangerous shock.

Another common problem and simple check is the power diode. Simply check for continuity. If you get continuity in both directions with a volt-ohm meter, replace the power-diode.

If you have the proper meter, check the secondary-circuit capacitor. The capacitor can be a little pricey if it is bad.

If that doesn`t do it, the problem is likely the primary-secondary transformer. Unfortunately, the cost of the replacement part is probably more expensive than buying a new microwave oven.

Mar 03, 2015 | LG Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Why is my microwave not heating model Frigidaire GLMV169dsc microwave not heating

Hello friend, thank you for your inquiry!

Sounds like there could be a potential problem with your magnetron, capacitor, or control panel inside of your Frigidaire microwave and that is why it is not heating. I would recommend seeking assistance from a professional for additional assistance towards a proper diagnose of your appliance. -Matt

Sep 22, 2014 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Kitchen aid micro wave change fuse

Unplug, remove top, look under keypad, follow wires to circuit board, look for a silver rectangular capacitor, "may be under a plastic flap" discharge capacitor with a screwdriver across the 2 points, look for a small fuse near by in clips, remove and replace with same current rating, assemble before test because lethal voltages present when powered.

Mar 11, 2012 | KitchenAid KHMS2050SSS Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Micro wave will not heat up. there is no buzzing noise.

More than likely it's the magnetron and/or diode, chances are it may still be under warranty. Online owners manual states 5 year warranty on magnetron. Part only, service call and installation not included. Diode not covered. They require serial number, and will let you know if it's still under warranty. Installation appears to be simple, UNPLUG MICROWAVE THEN MAKE SURE YOU DISCHARGE CAPACITOR. INJURY OR POSSIBLE DEATH IF NOT DISCHARGED PROPERLY. Google how to install magnetron and discharge capacitor. It will save you approx $ 250 - 300 doing it yourself. Hope this helps. Be Safe

Dec 13, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The microwave is not heating. Light comes on, fan comes on and turntable rotates but nothing gets hot.

either your hi-voltage diode,capacitor or magnetron are defective,if your not electrically savvy,don't open the unit up, by hi-voltage i mean the cap can store up to 2,000volts a.c.appx 18 times whats at your plug in receptacle,if you do tackle it,make sure to completely discharge the cap before attempting any repair...gooid luck and be safe

Aug 23, 2009 | GE Advantium 120 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Micorwave lights up, timer works but dish won't turn or heat.

You have not mentioned the model and make of the oven. You can check if there is a fuse between the highvoltage winding of the transformer andthe capacitor. If it is blown off replace the fuse, or you have to replace the magnetron.

Jun 14, 2009 | Frigidaire FMV156DC Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Kenmore Micro/Oven fuse keeps blowing

Disconnect the connector to the primary winding of the high voltage transformer. Put a new fuse . If the fuse is not blowing the problem may be in the secondary side of the high voltage transformer. Chek the highvoltage diode, capacitor, magnetron respectively. you can also check the primary winding of the low voltage transformer.

May 23, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Panasonic 1250 Watt genius microwave- will not cook. message refer to operators manual before use. Have owned for several years, has run afew times after unplugging for a few minutes, then nothing. clock,...

 Confirm 110-120 volts AC is entering the primary coil on the high voltage transformer....meter works but can be fooled, I usually rig up a light socket and household light bulb and hook that to the 2 input wires for the transformer and see if the light works or not when you run the microwave....can even set a power level and watch the light go on and off. Discharge the capacitor first before attempting any checks or tests.

Scary but works!....

If ok, put those 2 wires back on the transformer. Discharge the capacitor .
Remove the 2 wires going to the the microwave a few seconds ( 2-3 ) and remove power....again discharge the high voltage capacitor . If you got a good crack&spark when you discharge the cap the second time you are creating high voltage but not using it ( bad magnetron or loose High Voltage wire somewhere )....if you get no crack&spark you are not creating high voltage.

How to check a common high voltage diode - click here. Check the diode with one end off/disconnected....should show continuity one way, reverse your meter leads and none the other way.....many meters are not high/good enough and often show no continuity ( infinity ) in both directions. A full continuity reading in both directions  (0 ohms) on the diode may be shorted/bad one!
Many  microwaves however have a defect in the microwave distribution system which causes the magnetron tube to overheat and cut out and/or damage the diode. 

Jan 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

GE Spacemaker microwave won't heat food

hello kmwnky,
You say that Everything went out at first ( which I assume means that all functions went dead) and then functions started to operate again later... if that is correct and you smelled something burning.. you may have a thermal fuse that failed, filament transformer that failed, magnetron tube that failed or a highvoltage capacitor that failed.. None of these components are something the untrained person should attempt to trouble shoot or replace since there are dangerous energies stored inside the electronics compartment even after power is removed.. Your Micro is > 8 years old and it's probably not worth the cost of repairing at this point. You'd be better served replacing it.. The cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. ( I feel like the grim reaper here..sorry..)

Nov 28, 2008 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Kenwood CJ/AL28 microwave does not heat the food anymore...any reason why?

Check the high voltage fuse between the transformer and the capacitor, had the same problem with mineand this fixed it. Not an ordinary fuse though (5Kv 0.8a), cost me about a fiver.

Oct 16, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Frigidaire GLMV169D Microwave Oven Logo

Related Topics:

234 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Frigidaire Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 3 Expert

77947 Answers

Are you a Frigidaire Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides