Question about Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Older model. When wiping clean inside top of microwave, some of the paint flaked off exposing metal. Can oven still be used?
It would be dangerous to do so. Any exposed metal inside a microwave is source for sparks and is extremely hazardous. I would recommend getting the paint job done up, or even better, buy a newer model.
Posted on Nov 15, 2008
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
If there is spark please do not switch on unless you have confirmed the fault. It is possible that the Magnetron is leaking and sparking to the ground. As you have mentioned it was stored, it is quite possible that insect can get into the oven and create soft spots. When you switch on these will create a short and make the voltage jump and in the long run damage the magnetron.
So Remove cover after disconnecting , check for dirt/moisture in the cabin, if so wipe clean and dry, check the magnetron and area clean and use an jet air to clean off.
Now switch the microwave power on and use a cup of water to test.
If you notice any sparks shut off as the magnetron or the main HT capacitor can be faulty. Replace with same type. If not check the waveguides within the cabin for food particles that can burn and spark, check for rust that can corrode and spark when the ceramic paint has worn out.
If there is heating without any issues, you can use the microwave safely
Feb 10, 2011 | GE JE1860 Microwave Oven
Jan 30, 2011 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jul 25, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
May 01, 2010 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Sep 15, 2009 | Panasonic NN-T990SA Microwave Oven
Jan 16, 2009 | Jenn-Air JMV8186AA Microwave Oven
Jan 08, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 11, 2008 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens
Yes, but if this is not fixed, it may flake off and get in your food, or allow grease or food particles to build up on the surface.
The loose paint should really be sanded off, at least.
Then when it's clean and dry, you can apply a little high-temperature appliance paint, available from department stores, home improvement centers, and appliance parts stores.
Aug 15, 2007 | Welbilt MR622W Microwave Oven
Jul 16, 2014 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
1,368 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!