Question about Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

Profile transfer from old 20gb hard drive to 60gb one

Bought new console when i got rrod now need to transfer gamertag and everything onto new 360 60gb hard drive from old 360s 20gb one any ideas

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert that hasĀ over 10 points.

    Problem Solver:

    An expert who has answered 5 questions.

  • Contributor
  • 15 Answers

When you turn on your new 360 (the 60 GB one), there will be an option on the dashboard that reads "Recover Gamertag". As long as you are connected to the internet, follow the instructions laid out. Just press A on the recover gamertag option; it will then ask for your gamertag, the e-mail address associated with it, and maybe a few other things. After that is completed, just wait for the switch to occur. It usually takes about 5-15 minutes or so, so just be patient. If you do not have internet access, you will need to purchase a 360 memory card. You can then go to the memory option on the last blade of the xbox 360 dashboard (the purple one to the right) and copy it from there. It will then be on your memory card. Then just do the same process to copy it from the card to the new xbox. You will also need to use the memory card if you plan on copying saved game files.

Posted on Nov 15, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Can I transfer downloaded games from my old xbox360 to my new xbox360

If your console was recently repaired or if you've purchased a new console, use the license transfer option on your console to transfer content licenses. Here's how:
  • On your console, sign in to Xbox Live using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.Don't know your gamertag? See Download, move, or delete your Xbox Live profile.
  • Need to find your Microsoft account? See Find your Microsoft account.
  • Can't remember the password for your Microsoft account? See Recover your Microsoft account password.

  1. Go to Settings and select Account.
  2. Under Your Billing Options, select License Transfer.
  3. Follow the instructions to transfer the content licenses.
  4. After the licenses are transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licenses. For information about how to do this, see Download content you've previously purchased.
After you follow these steps, content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you're not connected to Xbox Live.

Jan 29, 2014 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

I used my gamertag at my mates and now it wonte let me recover it what do i do ?

if you can get a usb (at least 1 gb) and plug it into your friends xbox, you can put your gamertag profile onto the usb and then transfer it manually. this is the safest way. your usb must be configured to Windows FAT32 file system format (devices formatted for use with other file systems might not work). On your console go to my xbox then system settings, then memory. on the storage devices screen select usb storage device. select configure now (note this will erase everything on your usb) then The Xbox console tests your USB storage device to make sure it will work correctly with the console. If your device passes this test, you can use it as a USB memory unit. to get your gamer profile on there go to system settings, memory then the hard drive, select gamer profiles and move your gamer profile to the usb. you shouldnt recover your gamer tag unless you absolutely have to as any achievements or changes you have made since the account last connected to Xbox LIVE will be lost during the recovery process. once again do not recover your gamertag to a friend's console as a convenience, as you could also lose your saved games!

hope this helps

Nov 28, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

Ok so I have this problem too. If I get a new hardrive and ask MS to download all my **** onto it and will all my online stuff be saved but not my single player **** rite? Because thats the only stuff that...

It should carry everything over including music and profiles. If you put 200 hrs on Bethesda's Oblivion, when you transfer your data to the newer bigger H/D, it will be there. You may be thinking of recovering a gamertag on somebody else's console where it is ultimately recovering your profile. Hope this helps, it copies everything, I know this from personal experience, the only mistake I make was putting 50 hrs of fallout on my new h/d, and when I transfered the 20G info to the new 60G, it wipes the 60G and transfer's, not like a thumb drive where it would have added files. so if anything is on the receiving h/d, the it will be erased.

Jul 28, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

What is the easiest way to transfer large files from a small hard-drive to a larger one? I can't find transfer kits sold anymore!!

attatch your new hard drive, then recover your gamertag,but it will not recover data that is stored on the original hd,only stuff that is stored on your profile, I did this recently, my cod4 waw and mw2 all transfered to my new one but forza 3 didn't, so I would not wipe the old one untill you are sure you can get by without it.
Remember to thumbs up if this helps.

Mar 04, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

I have had my xbox for 1 year now after reading some of the ERROR CODE E68 probs i know my hardrive is broken because my bag split when moving it but how do i transfer whats on my hardrive to another 1...

Because your hard drive is damaged your best bet is to recover your gamertag onto the new one, on your profile page the end one says recover gamertag click on this,enter your gamertag, you will then need your e-mail address that you created your account with, then you need your password, this will recover your gamertag onto your new hard drive, it also transfers any ms points and your gold membership.
Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2010 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

Moved live profile to another machine but all content off other hard drive as not moved help ????

This is due to the fact that you have simply recovered your profile. None of your game saves or downloadable content are moved this way. To move them, you'll need an Xbox 360 Transfer Cable.

It won't work unless you moved from a 20GB or 60GB Hard Drive to a 120GB though. Call Microsoft's Support line (the US one is 1-800-MY-XBOX, or something similar; check Google before you dial), and ask for a 360 Transfer Cable.

They will ask you for the Console Serial Number, and after you give them it, you will get your Transfer Cable when it is posted to you.

Oct 06, 2009 | Microsoft Video Game Consoles & Games

1 Answer

Hard drive not read

Thats because the elite will only recognize a 60gb or higher. Pretty much you are keeping your xbox from operating at it's full potential.

Aug 03, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

I want to transfer all my xbox 360 memory (gamertag, xbox live, downloaded content etc.) from my 20GB hard drive to a 60GB hard drive. How do I do this?

When you buy the new hard drive it will most likely come with a transfer cable which will enable you to transfer all of your saved data from one hard drive to another.

if u mean a memory card not hard drive just tell me again i ll sort it out

Jun 14, 2009 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

New 360

Your old 20 gig will work with your new xbox, the hard drives are compatable no matter how old the 360 is. You can transfer all the stuff but you will have to call xbox and get a transfer kit. Its an adapter so you can attach both hard drives to the same xbox and a disc that runs the program. call 18004MYXBOX and tell them you want one. They are free and you will get it in the mail in around a week.

Oct 20, 2008 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

1 Answer

Linking 360 arcade games

you need to recover your old gamertag through the xbox dashboard call 1-800-4myxbox for further assisitance

Jan 13, 2008 | Microsoft Xbox 360 Console

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microsoft Xbox 360 Console Logo

499 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microsoft Video Game Consoles & Games Experts

marley mcelhinney

Level 3 Expert

490 Answers

Tre Elkins

Level 3 Expert

643 Answers

Martin Murray

Level 3 Expert

1623 Answers

Are you a Microsoft Video Game Console and Game Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides