Solution : Perform an On Demand Image Overwrite (ODIO)
Image Overwrite Security protects against unauthorized retrieval of confidential data from the machine by removing image data that is left when jobs are processed. When started, all of the physical areas of the hard disks holding job data are overwritten with a series of alphanumeric patterns.
There are two options for On Demand Image Overwrite: Standard and Full Overwrite. Standard ODIO will overwrite all jobs stored in image data as well as fax card image data. Standard ODIO will not overwrite fax mailbox, Poll store (mailbox 0) and dial directory information, or folders created with the Store Job feature, if these features are installed on the machine. Standard overwrite takes about 30 minutes. Full overwrite takes approximately 160 minutes to complete.
Full ODIO will overwrite and delete all fax image data, including mailboxes, Poll store and dial directories on the fax card. Full ODIO will also overwrite any images that have been stored in folders created with the Store Job feature. When On Demand Image Overwrite is initiated, the machine is taken offline until the overwrite is completed. Any existing jobs in the queue are terminated, including print, fax and LAN fax jobs.
Overwrites can also be performed on a per-job basis, immediately after each job has been processed, using Immediate Image Overwrite. See the Related Items
below for additional information.
CAUTION: The machine should not be in Diagnostics mode when the overwrite is started. (The Touch Screen indicates a status of "Diagnostics Mode". This mode is used by Customer Service Representatives when servicing the machine.)
Do not power off the machine while an overwrite is in progress.
To perform an On Demand Image Overwrite from the Control Panel:
- Access the Tools screen. See the Related Items below for additional information.
- Select [Security Setting].
- Select [Image Overwrite Security].
- Select [On Demand Image Overwrite].
- Select the [Standard / Full Overwrite] button to switch between the two options, and select the required option.
- Select [Overwrite Now].
- The Overwrite Confirmation screen will be displayed. Select the [Overwrite] button to begin, or select [Cancel] to cancel the On Demand Image Overwrite. The machine will be taken offline and will be unable to receive any incoming jobs. The Image Overwrite will proceed to overwrite all image data on the hard disk.
NOTE: If Embedded Fax is installed, all Embedded Fax compact flash data will also be overwritten.
- When the overwrite is complete, the On Demand Image Overwrite completion screen will be displayed.
- Select [Close]. The Disk Overwrite Confirmation Report will print. This details the status and time of the overwrite. The Network Controller will then reboot and network functionality will be unavailable for several minutes.
When the machine has rebooted, verify that the overwrite operation has completed by viewing the Confirmation Report (under Confirmation Details). The Job Information: Status ESS Disk parameter should read "SUCCESS".