- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
While I don't have a schematic, there is not much to the system. In my case, I removed the entire unit (stationary and mobile parts) and cleaned all the grease out. Be prepared to do this outside on a picnic table with a paint scraper and grease bucket.
Our unit would raise ok, then go right back down. There is a cam that raises the unit up and down. That same cam impacts a couple of micro switches. The push button switch over comes the raise limit switch when it's time to go back down. The limit switches (one up one down) have small metal tabs that get disturbed by grease and increased weight of the grease. After cleaning, just bend the upper limit tab just a little so it is tighter. On my mine, the unit would lift, then coast over the top of the cam profile and go back down. By bending the metal tab connected to the raise limit switch so the switch was more fully engaged sooner (earlier) to the top of stroke, the unit will stop where it should. Pressing the button again by passes the raise limit switch so the cam continues and the unit goes back down. I wish I had taken pictures when I did this. It really is very simple.
The multi button switch may be fouled with cooking grease. If the switch has not failed, you may be able to clean the buttons. Unplug the unit before starting. Prop the vent up (you should be able to pull it up by hand) and unscrew the end caps, pull the top cap off and turn over. There are three small nuts on the underside of the switch, I loosen these with a jewlers needle nose pliers and remove by hand. Once you have the switch semi free (the cable has some play in it) pull off and wash the black caps in hot soapy water. As long as you did unplug the unit, you can pour rubbing alcohol over the white stems and push up and down to move grease out. We sometimes use a cleaning solution. Let dry until you are absolutely sure that all moisture has evaporated. Re assemble, plug in and try the switch.
This has worked for us for the past 5 years which beats the almost $300 price for the new part (part, tax and shipping).
does it click or grind when pushing window button if so the window lift track may need replaced, if there are no sounds then disconnect the wires from the lift motor and with the ignition on so power is sent to switch, push button and check wires to 12 volts dc. If no power I would replace the driver side switch after checking the wires for defects. If there is power then I would re-install wires to motor after turning off key and try button again with power on. replace motor if it doesn't work.
I had the same problem. It is the switch. Hang on because that little $3 swtich is about $60 from a parts house. Sears wanted $114. If you take the switch out or disconnect the switch at the board and jumper the two leads, (12v), it should work fine. That will tell you whether it is the switch. I did it with a small screwdriver. Careful, even though it is 12v it will get yor attention. I have all GE appliances and they are all junk.
Folks, I have experienced the same problem several times - in all of my cases the problem was solved by simply opening the back panel and taking out the motor assembly and re-aligning it. Check out this URL for a blow up of what's inside and parts list - http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=5130126
The problem is that the arm tends to slip out and therefore won't raise or lower the hood anymore. Be careful when aligning it can be a little tricky - carefully observe the how the motor works outside of the housing via the switch and you will get the idea.
Having the same problem. Unit worked well for 1 1/2 years and then suddenly it dropped after I was thru using it and pushed the arrow for it to go down after it dropped the power wouldn't turn off - had to unplug it.. Repairman came out , took it out, lubricated it , re-installed and next time it went up fine, vented fine but when it went down it dropped again and power wouldn't turn off again. I am hesitant to call him out again unless I can figure out what else might fix the problem. I have noticed that the top piece now seems to be bowed a bit. I guess I can have him take out the cooktop but think there must be enough room for it if it worked fine for the 1 1/2 years. It is a soapstone countertop.
replace whole unit thats roughly what the whole unit costs 157.00 just a little secret there they dont tell you cause they mark up the prices i worked for the company that sold and installed this equipment you also remember tax