Question about Samsung MW5351G Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Possible power surge?

We recently trimmed branches from our tree outside, one of the branches fell on the power line. when i came inside, the microwave did not work anymore.(power from the outlet but nothing on the microwave, nothing at all). I tested to see if there is power beyond the fuse with a meter and there is. could the fuse still be bad? could a power surge ruin the micro without blowing the fuse? Thanks in advance. scott

Posted by on

  • scott hersh Nov 19, 2006

    hi,

    Thanks for the response, where do I send the control panel, how much s&h, how do I remove the panel? Thanks

  • SBBOD Dec 23, 2007

    I HAVE GALAXY MOGEL 721.80002401 WHERE DO I FIND THE FUSE. OUR POWER WAS OFF CAME BACK ON ,MICROWAVE DOSEN'T WORK.

×

Ad

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points

    Superstar:

    An expert that got 20 achievements.

    All-Star:

    An expert that got 10 achievements.

    MVP:

    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Samsung Master
  • 9,098 Answers

Sounds like you got a surge which damaged the control panel. This is the most likely thing. We regularly repair these control panels nationwide for $32.50. A fuse is designed protect against excessive current. But if you have excessive voltage (a surge or spike), it can be so fast that it gets past the fuse and damages the control panel without actually blowing it. While the panel does have surge protection to keep that surge from actually destroying the control panel, the panel is damaged and will have to be repaired. If any power line connections were broken or are suspect, I hope you have contacted the power company. Either way, I would test any affected outlets to be sure the neutral and ground are present so the voltage output is within the proper range.

Posted on Nov 16, 2006

Ad

1 Suggested Answer

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Ad

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Have a magic chef mco160uw microwave. Had a recent


No! there is no reset, the power surge has more than likely damaged the keypad controller, and on the back is a circuit board that has the microprocessor with additional components that controls the vital areas of the microwave oven. If that is gone, it is cheaper to replace than to repair.

Feb 06, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

A tree limd fell on a power line running across my yard to his house. now we only have partial electricity.any ideas why?


Hello elle..... Definitely call the power company right away. You have probably lost one leg of your power so that instead of having two 110 volt legs going into your electrical panel you have only one leg. That would eliminate half of your power.

This is a potentially dangerous situation so please call the power company right away. ALSO do not use your electric dryer or electric stove/oven under any circumstances at these require 220 volts and using them could damage your appliances. Joe

Thanks for choosing Fixya!

Feb 02, 2011 | Hotpoint RVM1435 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

How do i remove the cover to change the light bulb inside?


The bulb is positioned at the top of the oven, accessible only from the outside. You'll need to pull off the top and bottom trim strips, remove the bottom trim strip locators, remove 2 fixing screws from the left edge of the oven (with door open), and the 2 fixing screws from behind the top trim strip. The oven should then just slide out. You only need to pull it out 6 inches or so to gain access to the bulb cover. You'll need a T20 driver to remove the cover, then the bulb unscrews as it has an SES fitting. Bob

Nov 20, 2010 | Neff H7871 Convection/Microwave Oven

1 Answer

This is in my camper. It just went totally blank. Checked all circuit breakers etc and all is ok.


There is a power line fuse under the cover, and it's possible it's worked itself loose in its holder. It just snaps into spring clips, and since you say this is in a camper it may just have gotten bounced around. There are also a couple of safety thermostats that will cut off power if there's overheating, but if everything was working properly before then they probably aren't at fault.

It's also possible the power transformer for the control circuit board is bad. I have seen several Sharps where the transformer failed for no apparent reason, possibly because of power line surges. This transformer is not available separately from the control board, so if it's bad, it's time for a new oven. Check that fuse first and hope it's the cause. Good luck, and thanks for using Fixya!

Apr 12, 2010 | Sharp R-7A85 Microwave Oven

2 Answers

Need to replace the handle of a ge jvm1340, the top screw is easy, but the bottom screw seems unaccessible, can you help thanks, JG


There is a piece of trim on the inside of the door.
This trim is rectangular, about 1/2" wide, and goes around the outside of the glass. the trim has rounded corners. Take a knife and gently insert at a rounded corner, prying the trim out. Once you can put a finger behind the trim, you'll find it comes off easily, revealing the lower handle screw.

Jul 26, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave will not work


Hello Carol95,
I would doubt that the heat generated from the cook surface beneath the micro caused any damage to the micro however the fact that you had a power surge is the more likely culpret. It is possible that a power surge took out an internal component, such as the magnetron, thermal fuse, filament transformer or something else but the cost of a repair call may warrant a replacement MW anyway. Why pay for a service call if all you will learn is that your MW was damaged from that surge? and the cost to repair would exceed the cost to replace.. There are virtually no servicable parts inside the micro that the homeowner should attempt to fix.. If you do not know what you are doing, you can get seriously injured or compromise the RF shield in just gaining access to the inner compartment. You might luck out and learn that the failed component is a simple and inexpesive repair ... so you weigh the risks..
Hope that helps you decide how to approach this..

Regards,
Rick

Feb 16, 2009 | Amana AMV5164 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Panasonic NN-S254B How fried is it?


There is an internal fuse, so check that first. If the fuse checks ok, definitely buy a new microwave - losing a neutral usually damages the main circuit board. Given the cost of the board and the distance involved, it just wouldn't pay to chase the parts down

Jun 18, 2008 | Panasonic NN-S254BF Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

978 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Samsung Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9098 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers

Oscar Netto
Oscar Netto

Level 2 Expert

110 Answers

Are you a Samsung Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...