Winfax Pro on Xp - Update to Vista - Winfax data viewer in Vista?
We have an old PC running winfax pro on windows xp. We are in the process of upgrading our hardware and want to upgrade to VISTA. However we have a lot of sent and receive logs and faxes in Winfax. I realize that winfax doesn't work on VISTA. Is there some type of winfax data viewer available that can run under vista? We keep all our fax history. I have done some research and see there are quite a few winfax replacement softwares for Vista. The only problem I have is preserving the old history of sent and received faxes. Any help will be greatful.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Go to the program files folder where WinFax is installed, either in Symantec\WinFax or WinFax. Find the file WTNSETUP.EXE.
Run this and go through the setup. It should create the necessary shortcuts and program menu items for you once completed. http://www.getfaxing.com/winfax
rename the existing DATA folder that is linked to winfax to another name, like DATAORIGINAL,
then copy your DATA folder over.
Make sure Winfax is closed when you do this.
Once it is copied over, start WinFax. Your data from the old faxes should appear in WinFax
To create the message store folder:
1. Close WinFax and the WinFax Controller.
2. If you are running Windows NT, 2000, or XP, stop the WinFax service. If you don't know how to do this, read the document How to start or stop a service in Windows.
3. Using Windows Explorer, locate and then double-click the Symantec WinFax Pro folder.
4. Click File.
5. Point to New, and then click Folder.
6. Give the new folder a name (My Faxes, for example) and press Enter.
7. Close Windows Explorer.
It sounds as if another programme is trying to use the fax facility.
Press Ctrl, Alt+Del and when the taskmanager comes up look at the process and programmes tab to see if Winfax pro is running, click on it then click end process.
This is a solution that was suggested for an earlier edition of the Winfax Pro, but there is no reason why it shouldn?t work on this one as well:
1. Close Winfax and any other program that has anything to do with it, delete all the temp files that yo don?t need.
2. Run Scandisk and fix any problems that may come up.
3. Run delfix.exe which is located in the winfax folder in the status files.
4. Run delfix-rebuild and delfix-optimize and check if the problem is solved.
If the problem reoccurs there is another possibility- to change the name of the WinFax\data folder and create a new one which you will transfer the address book file, status files etc. from the old folder. Note that there might be some information that wouldn?t go through.