Question about LG U8150
I have a LG VX8100 purchased used, worked fine. Purchased charger two days later. Battery charged some but would not fully charge. After a few days the phone wouldnt charge and when I tried to turn it on I received this message "use genuine battery. power off" and it the phone counted down from 10 seconds and shut down. I took the charger back and questioned store salesman to see if it was battery or charger, he politely gave me new charger to see if that was the solution. Tried that charger for 24 hours and same thing happened. So I purchased new battery and put in new battery and I receive the same error message "use genuine battery. power off" The batteries are both genuine and both batteries were checked in another LG VX8100 phone. Is the phone faulty? Are the battery posts faulty? Did the first charger damage the phone? I purchased the phone used from electronic store, will Verizon fix or exchange for me? Heeelp....
A temporary fix to the problem is to put the battery in the freezer for a minute and then put it back in the phone and it will turn on just fine! I had an LGVX8700 and it just randomly started happening one day and my fiance told me to try doing that so i did and sure enough it worked. I had to go to verizon at one point to get a new phone because the one i had got damaged and the tech there used the same battery in my phone for the new one and he thought i was crazy when i told him to put the battery in the freezer but he was in for a surprise when he did what i told him and my phone turned on. It's annoying because you have to do that everytime your phone shuts off but i always made sure i plugged it into the charger before it went completely dead.
Posted on Nov 20, 2009
I have an En-V 2, same thing happened.
What worked for me was dabbing a Q-tip in nail polish remove and just rubbing it along the 4 contacts on the battery as well as the 4 contacts inside the phone.
This is an old trick that use to work for the Nintendo game system cartridges when the game would **** out.
Give it a shot! I just saved $50 and a trip to the Verizon store!!!!!! (We know how that can be...hehehe)
Posted on Oct 20, 2008
LG phones have problems with their connectors; wet or dirty won't work. Take out battery and blow on battery connectors and on charger connectors. Only use alcohol or nail polish on qtip and only if blowing doesn't remove debris or dirt
Posted on Nov 16, 2008
So I am the most untech savvy person I know, and I got my cell to work. I have the LG Keybo, and after dropping my phone in water I got the same message. I must say that if you hold down the "on" button for 15 secs it should work. I tried that last after I tried putting the battery in the freezer, and cleaning it with alcohol - both did not work for me.
Don't be discouraged if it doesn't turn on - this has happened many times to me when usually holding it down for 15 secs works this last time for about a week and a half my phone didn't work. I tried the freezer and alochol again and I tried to get it to turn on for a week and a half and finally it did. So no need to get a new phone it will eventually work. I also have a back up old phone that i just switch when my new one stops working
Posted on Jan 08, 2010
Cleaning with nailpolish totally worked!!! Thank you sooo much! That just saved HOURS of trying to get help through customer service!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!
Posted on Nov 12, 2009
At times I hate the Internet and times I love the Internet - this is a LOVE time. Thank you all for saving me time and aggrevation. The nail polish did not work the first time so I tried it again and POOF on it came. Bless you!!!!
Posted on Jul 15, 2010
My phone did the same thing, and i took it to verizon and pretty much told me to screw myself. I looked online and someone said alcohol bath. I took the battery out put the phone in a bowl of rubbing alcohol for an hour. THen i let it dry by the window for an hour overnight and boom it was fixed. No more problem
Posted on Nov 25, 2007
Didn't use alcohol, nail polish, or the freezer... When I tried to charge the battery I realized it was trying to power up before I got the "Use genuine battery..." error message. So, I tried the charger, and when the phone tried to power up I pulled the charger out... The phone powered up only to indicate that the battery was dead, and then it began to power down. The second it powered down I inserted the charger again, and it read "Battery Charging". Don't know if this will work for everyone, but it worked for me.
Posted on May 17, 2011
A Verizon rep told me to do the *228 monthly update on my cell to try to prevent this problem. I'm not sure it will work but cleaning the phone didn't work for me.
Posted on Feb 21, 2009
Posted on Dec 31, 2011
It same problem for me lg lu 6200 it show use geniune battery power off
please help me
Posted on Jan 15, 2015
My problem is not charging the battery.it shows a triangle with a exclamation mark with korean letters.i cant turn on my phone because it indicate zero battery percentage and shut down, can any one tell me the exact problem pls i covered 4th pin on the battery and turned on the phone.yes it turned on but it says use a genuine battery then shut down. so i am so frustrated thanks
Posted on Jun 13, 2014
None of these solutions are working for me! I have a chocolate touch, and tried charging it with wires from a different charger because mine is lost and I need to use it right now. Now it has the message, and I tried both the nail polish and the freezer trick, neither worked!
Posted on Jul 25, 2011
My son dropped his Chocolate touch in a pool. Well, he dove in with it in the pocket of his trunks. It was in the pool for about 5 minutes. We let it dry out for a week! When we put the battery in it gave us the "use genuine battery" message and powered down. We put it in the freezer and cleaned the connections with nail polish remover and now it is working fine! Thanks!
Posted on Sep 05, 2010
This and other problems, like the phone being stuck in "Car Kit" mode, are due toa couple of shorted pins bottom pins where you connect the charger. Either liquid or dirt (or the pins are physically bent and touching) is causing the short, cleaning them somehow, and then letting the phone dry will usually fix the problem.
Posted on Jul 28, 2008
Are u sure alchohal will work?
Posted on Feb 23, 2008
Remove the battery and ensure the screws are all in place and tight.
Posted on Dec 21, 2007
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
I took out the battery on a lg verizon phone oops put it back in now black nothing ?? There must be some sort of way to replace the battery that reinitializes it any help
Posted on Jul 18, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 23, 2015 | LG VX8350 Cellular Phone
Sep 04, 2017 | Trio Stealth G2 7 inch Tablet with 8GB...
May 08, 2011 | LG U8150
Jan 26, 2011 | LG Cell Phones
Dec 21, 2009 | LG enV2 EnV-2 VX-9100 VX9100 Premium Pink...
Apr 16, 2017 | HP iPAQ h6315/h6365 Pocket PC
Jan 16, 2008 | LG VX8300 Cellular Phone
Dec 06, 2006 | LG VX6000
34,069 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!