I have a GE over the range space saver microwave that was only 18 mos. old when it stopped heating. GE replaced the magnetron for us at no charge but since we did not have a service contract - they charged us $200 to install it. It only cost $375 new installed. Your choice.
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The magnetron (the part that heats the food) may be bad or the circuitry to the magnetron may have burned out. Basically my advice is that if you have no electrical expertise, it isn't worth fixing. The magnetron if bad, costs almost as much as a new microwave. If you open it up (make sure it has been unplugged for a few hours and don't seen any obvious burnt parts, then most likely the magnetron is done and a new microwave is the way to go.
The problem could be anything from a defective control circuit board or a burned out magnetron tube. Either fix is quite expensive and you'll have to evaluate whether you think the repair is worth the cost vs buying a new microwave.
Bear in mind that a fixed microwave is still a used microwave. So to get an apples-to-apples comparison you have to ask yourself, would I pay $XXX (substitute XXX's with actual repair cost) for my used microwave?
Make a few phone calls and get the actual costs-then decide. You cant normally fix microwave ovens yourself though. Generally when the magnetron goes its time to buy a new micro unless its under warranty.
Sounds like the magnetron has failed. This is the component that produces the microwaves that heats the food. The cost of the magnetron is about 95% of the cost of a microwave oven. Most people don't, for this reason, replace the magnetron, they replace the whole oven which is probably what you will end up doing. There is a possibility that the circuit that provides power to the magnetron is faulty and you need to take it apart, find the proper electrical leads and test them with a volt meter. To do this you have to remove it from its mounting and take it apart. It is a fairly lengthy process however.
If the supply voltage is low it will take long time to heat foods. The second reason is the Magnetron. Since it is in the warranty period you can call at the sharp authorised service center. They will do it free of coast.
This is a common symptom of a failed magnetron, or defective wave guide assembly. The price of a new magnetron is about $120. The waveguide (if defective) cannot be purchased without buying a new unit. Your choice. Do you think its worth repairing? You can purchase a new magnetron, but if the waveguide is damaged, the unit will still exhibit the same symptoms you are experiencing. Its not often that I give advice NOT to fix something, but in your case, it may not be the best choice.
Is very unlikely that there could be any other electrical failure since everything else seems to be working.
If you are able to fix it yourself then is way more cheaper just to buy the magnetron. Click here to find the magnetron.
Before you do any work on this device, please click here to know how to discharge the high voltage capacitor and other safety concerns when working with devices that generate high voltages.
I would say is not worth it to spend more then $100.00 for a 5+ years old microwave.