Question about Archos AV 500 400-Hours Video Recorder
I have a similar situation, my Archos when I try and turn it on the blue splash screen comes on the HDD light flickers and it sounds like the HDD turns then it turns off. The Screen stays on if it is charging, but nothing more. Also the screen will stay on if the power button is held down. When it is attached to the computer and is switched on windows says the USB device attatched has malfunctioned. Any Ideas....???? I'm lost firstname.lastname@example.org 07966422994 01939 235371
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: av 400 - will not turn on
Mine did that too, and I was freaking out. I don't know if it will work for you, but I took the battery out for hours, maybe 4 or 5 hours. I went to show someone what it was doing, put the battery back in and it worked. It is still freezing when I play music more than it was, but I got my data off at least.
Posted on Feb 22, 2007
its possible you could have picked up a virus that is making unauthorized changes to your pc. happened to me. had to reboot pc to original factory settings.
Posted on Jan 31, 2008
SOURCE: Archos Av500 startup problems
its a HDD or OS failure
ull have to ask the company for a replacement if its under the warranty period
make sure to register ur device on the Archos website to get a 'Technical Support Passcode.'call Archos to tell them ur problem and if ur lucky they wud repair it free of charge
if u want to try it urself...i found this one of the forums on the net..
1.remove all the screws, and remove the battery.
2. Remove the hard disk from the player by disconnecting the ribbon connector carefully from the mainboard.
3. Try to startup the player after putting the battery back in place. This time, instead of turning off, the player showed a "cannot read hard disk" error with the option of formatting it. Made me realise that the hard disk was the culprit. However, I had heard the hard disk noises previously, and they sounded fine, so I realised it was a software issue (file system was corrupted)
4. Try to connect it back, same problem as before... Also it is very difficult to first start the player & then connect the hard disk, as the player is designed to shut off in that situation.
5. The best option after this would be to get a drive enclosure designed specifically for 1.8 hitachi hard disks to connect the disk directly to the computer using USB and format it.
6. However since I didn't have a specialised enclosure, I did a lot of trail and error with the player itself (running off mains while connecting the hard disk after starting the player without releasing the power button etc etc etc) which Im sure wasnt too kind on the hard disk, but voila, I managed to start it up fine WITH the hard disk in place without the player turning off using some weird combination of holding down the power button and connecting the ribbon on the bootup screen)
7. After this, he was able to select "format", and the player began working fine he lost all the data on the player itself, but luckily he had backups of everything!
Thanks for using Fixya
Posted on Jul 16, 2008
SOURCE: Archos 605wifi not switching on
Hi, my Archos 605 160GB is doing the same, Sorry to say the battery has gone.
1. Back to Archos
2. Replace the battery yourself I ordered mine from HK from the web site BatteryUpgrade. co. uk for about £24 - If you search on Utube there is a video showing you how to change the battery on smaller 605's
Posted on Jan 20, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 12, 2010 | Archos Internet Media Tablet MP3 Player
Jul 16, 2008 | Archos AV 500 400-Hours Video Recorder
Jun 28, 2009 | Archos AV 500 Digital Media Player
Jun 27, 2009 | JVC HD-52G787 52" Projection Television
Dec 22, 2006 | Archos AV 500 400-Hours Video Recorder
Nov 22, 2017 | Archos AV 500 400-Hours Video Recorder
41 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: