Amp was connected directly to positive and negative terminals on car battery. spark flew when positive lead was connected to positive terminal. Front channel had RCA's already connected to the receiver. Now the amp powers on, but the front channel doesn't work at all, and the rear channel is terribly distorted. - What exactly happened, can the amp be fixed, where should trouble shooting begin, and what should be looked for. Thanks.
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has written 20 answers of more than 400 characters.
Re: Can it Be Fixed
Nothing should have been damaged.
I would assume the speaker output shorted in one way or another...did you have a speaker hooked up?
You most likely blew the output transistors and they ALL need to be replaced as one going bad will kill the rest since they're so sensitive.
At least the PSU, seemingly, wasn't damaged.
Contact www.audiotekx.com, ask for Jason, he's excellent at repairing amps and has great pricing.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
assuming all 3 subs are 3-4 ohms, running all 3 in parallel (the 3 positive leads all attach to the amp positive terminal, and all 3 speaker negative leads connect to the amp negative terminal) will bring you at or above 1 ohm, which the amp is capable of handling. With 1500 watts, you will want to use 8 gague power leads for the amp, 12 gague speaker cables, and an inline 120 amp fuse between the amp and the battery, within 1 foot of the battery.
Remove the lead the spark plug, and then remove the spark plug, connect the spark plug back to the lead. Remove the positive and negative wires from the coil. Replace them with a negative and positive direct to the battery, but don't connect the positive to the coil. Hold the spark plug to a grounded part of the car, touch the positive lead to the coil, when you RELEASE the wire from the coil, you get a spark.
You will get sparks if you connect or disconnect the battery incorrectly. The problem with sparks are they can fire voltage and current spikes down wires to sensitive electrical/electronic components, meters, clocks, alarms etc.
There is only one way to safely and correctly remove and re-fit a motorcycle battery. To remove it undo negative lead first then positive. To fit/refit a battery connect positive lead first then negative. Hope this helps
Be ceratin you have jumper cables to correct terminals. Also, you may connect both jumper cables to the battery of the car your getting power from (be certain not to let other ends of cables touch) connect the positive lead of car being jumped to the battery's positive terminal, then connect the negative lead to the cars ground, not directly to the negative on the battery. Getting a spark when jumping is very common. You do not want to create the spark at the battery because the fumes from the battery acid can be explosive...... That can go very bad! When removing remove the grounded, to the jumped car, and then carefully remove the rest. Again be certain to not let the leads touch.
are you absolutely certain that you have the battery back in the bike the right way,as what you have described is battery leads around the wrong way,because if you hook up the positive to the neg terminal and negative to thepositive terminal the bike will try to start(but backwards)as you have effectivly turned the whole electrical sytem inside out,i just hope that the cdi and coils havent been damaged..i certainly hope that,all you can do now is put the battery back on the charger and let it trickle charge,track the leads and be certain which is which before putting them back on (positive is red,negative is black)and the battery should be clearly marked,not only on the front but beside each terminal,hope this helps
disconnect the negative battery terminal, replace the fuse with all the wires hooked up to the amp and reconnect the battery terminal, that way the initial surge of power goes through the negative terminal and not your inline fuse. That should solve your problem.