Question about Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Unit makes loud electrical static sound and flashes a bright blue light through the cavity holes at oven light opening.

Posted by on

  • circgodess Nov 09, 2008

    I have the carousel convection/microwave oven. It also makes loud sparking sounds and a blue light on the inside top of the oven appears. The clock continues to function properly.



1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 46 Answers

it is most likely the magna tron arcing over or at least a high voltage leak in that areaif it is the magnatron it will have tobe replaced

Posted on Nov 09, 2008


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Whirlpool builtin microwave model mh6130xeq1. I replaced the 2 bulbs that were underneath the unit that shine on the oven, but the replacement bulbs do not work. They are 40w appliance bulbs; the same...

You know how when you turn on a regular light bulb and it burns out with a bright flash? What happens is that when the filament burns out, it breaks and bounces back and hits the other electrical post and basically shorts out causing that bright flash. Sometimes, when 1 of the light bulbs in the microwave burned out, it shorted out, and caused the circuit-board trace to burn up. (This is not just conjecture; I've seen it.) If that's the case, then you would have to replace the main control circuit board. A rather expensive repair for no lights. BUT BEFORE YOU DO THAT, get an ohmmeter and check your new light light bulbs and make sure they are really good. Also, if you can, get a bright flashlight and check the light bulb sockets in the microwave (unplug it first). Check for possible corrosion or signs of arcing on the center electrode of the socket. If that's the problem, you might be able to use a small screwdriver to scrape off the corrosion of the socket (make absolutely sure you have your microwave oven unplugged before you do that!).

Jan 09, 2015 | Whirlpool Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

How to change a light bulb on an oster microwave

As far as I know, the following procedure applies to all countertop microwave ovens. Unplug the oven. Remove the screws holding the top/side cover (there are some on a flange around the back, and usually others either on the sides or on a flange wrapped around the bottom on each side).

Pull the cover back about 1/8" to unhook the front, then lift it off. You should see the lamp socket or a sheet metal box covering the lamp socket on top of the oven cavity (a few models have the lamp on one side or the back, but these are rare). If the lamp is enclosed in a box, remove the screws holding the box and lift or slide it off. (If you are unsure whether you are looking at the right object, open the door and look inside the cavity to make sure it matches the place where the light comes in.)

While you have the cover off, check the fan on the right side to make sure it is reasonably clean and the bearings are running smoothly. If the cooling fins on the magnetron are dirty, wipe those off also. Do not touch the circuitry on the controller board with your fingers or a with metal tool held in your fingers. Static electricity from your body could damage the electronics, even if you can't feel a spark.

Jun 20, 2014 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

I have a sharp microwave convection oven model R-H93 and when I turn it on for only 3 seconds the light from the wave guide cove blinks viiolently and the who oven makes a loud electrical sound and a...

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck somewhere in the cavity of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

The waveguide cover (also called a spatter shield) is usually about the size of a playing card and often held in place by a plastic rivet.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the metal of the cavity is chipped or charred, you need to clean it, sand it shiny, then clean it squeaky clean again.

Then you can get high temperature appliance paint in spray or brush-on form from local appliance part stores or places like Wal-Mart and Lowe's.

I would suggest you let it dry overnight with the door open before using the oven.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced.

It provides critical protection for the magnetron.

You can order Sharp parts from Encompass here or call them toll-free at 866-779-5835.

Recheck your full model number. You have an incomplete one above.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Jun 07, 2012 | Sharp R-9H84B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave made a loud popping sound and had a bright flash of light. Has done this twice.

That is most likely caused by a failing wave guide cover. It is situated in the cavity and protects the magnetron.
Most dealers keep or can easily get them.
Hope that helps.

Mar 04, 2011 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

My daughter put a metal ring in the microwave to heat up. I was not there, so I did not know what happen and if sparks flared up. But the microwave kept working OK for half a day before acting crazy. ...

There really shouldn't be a correlation between the metal ring in the oven cavity and the erratic operation of the control board. Although it might seem suspicious, what happens inside the oven cavity stays in the oven cavity.

Jun 20, 2010 | General Electric Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The paint in the cavity of my 6 year old microwave oven is peeling from the top. I don't know why. Is it safe to sand off the loose paint and touch it up?

Sand off the loose paint and make sure that there are no holes in the cavity. If there's holes the unit is not safe to use.

If it's just surface flaking, it should be safe to sand back with fine grade wet/dry sandpaper. We usually respray with automotive paint in a colour close to the cavity colour.

May 26, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens

2 Answers

Light bulb replacement

the light bulb is usually in cavity behind the control access that first remove the outer cover of the unit by removing all screw at the back.after removing the cover u will have access to yhe cavity behind the cntrl board and the light bulb.....good luck.

Aug 19, 2009 | Emerson MW8168B Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Sharp R-510 FK dangerous noise

Hello. To me, it sounds like something is stuck to the inside of your cavity and it is arcing, as you are seeing a bright flash, and hearing it. I would take apart/clean everything inside the cooking area, something is causing a problem in there. Usually just a good cleaning is all it needs, as the debris is making a focus point for the energy. Try putting a small glass of water, only 1/4 full, and watch while you start it, to see where the arcing is, it won't hurt anything for a second or 10.

Hope that helped, and thank you.

Mar 29, 2009 | Sharp R-510HW Microwave Oven

1 Answer


It could be a magnetron sparks to the open metal inside the m/w cavity or some broken wire on high voltage side. It is not HV transformer (when burn create a lot of smoke and bad smell). Magnetron needs to be replace.

Dec 03, 2008 | Whirlpool GT1195SH Microwave Oven

1 Answer

No power, no lights, no sound, nothing. It's like it's unplugged. It worked and then it didn't. Electrical outlet has power.

There is a Thermal Cavity Overlad on the top of the cavity that is blown.

The microwave needs to come and the shell needs to come off to find it. it is a $10 part that breaks the neutral and maes a "Dead" unit.

Nov 26, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

218 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

9085 Answers

Donald DCruz
Donald DCruz

Level 3 Expert

17130 Answers


Level 3 Expert

76846 Answers

Are you a Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides