An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
An expert that has over 10 points.
Visited the website for 2 consecutive days.
Re: Inspiron 9100 - will not turn on after power surge
Unfortunately your computer is most likely permanently damaged. A power surge can cause all types of damage to any computer but laptops are even more vulnerable. It most likely ruined your motherboard, but could have fried any number of components. You may get someone to look at it for you to be sure but in all probability it would be less expensive to replace than to repair. If you have important data you may seek out a data recovery expert to see if it can be salvaged from the hard drive.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Inspiron 9100 - will not turn on after power surge
Try unplugging it from the mains adapter and take the battery out. Leave the battery out for a full two minutes then replace the battery and try turning on with battery only first. If this boots up okay then add your adapter.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
hi generally most new laptop have a internal shut off if there is some kind of power surge, here is the solution to try it works on most laptops these days but dosnt get documented enough 1 Removed the battery and power cord from the laptop 2 Press and hold the power button on the laptop for 30-60 seconds ( the longer the better) 3 Connect the powercord to the laptop but leave the battery out 4 Try and power on your laptop - if it turns on you are good to go just reinsert you battery and repeat if it happens again
hi generally most new laptop have a internal shut off if there is some kind of power surge, here is the solution to try it works on most laptops these days but dosnt get documented enough
1 Removed the battery and power cord from the laptop 2 Press and hold the power button on the laptop for 30-60 seconds ( the longer the better) 3 Connect the powercord to the laptop but leave the battery out 4 Try and power on your laptop - if it turns on you are good to go just reinsert you battery and repeat if it happens again
1.Plug the Inspiron's AC power cord into a power outlet and try to power on the laptop again. By far the most common cause of a laptop's not powering on is a dead battery. 2.Plug the AC adapter into a different outlet to check for a "dead" outlet. If you have the cable plugged into a surge protector, plug the cord into a different slot on the surge protector or "bypass" the surge protector by plugging the cable into an electrical outlet. If the Inspiron now powers on, replace the surge protector or have an electrician examine any "dead" outlets in the home. 3.Open the battery bay on the underside of the Inspiron by sliding the battery bay latch release lock upward and the battery bay latch release to the right. Once both latches are released, the battery bay should open. 4.Remove the battery. 5.Purchase a compatible replacement battery for laptop. Be aware that using an incompatible battery can cause damage to your computer. If you have any doubt as to compatibility, the best option is to purchase the replacement battery directly from your laptop's manufacturer. 6.Install the new battery by following the battery-removal procedure in reverse order. Once the new battery is installed, try again to power on the laptop. If there is still no power, seek professional repair advice.
Well if it is always plugged to the wall then the laptop's power jack is the common problem there. You can have a Computer Technician check it and diagnose it for you. Be careful how much you pay, if that is the problem (i'm pretty sure it has to be) you can shop for the part online (ebay is a good place to find them for around ten bucks) and hand it to the computer guy. Otherwise you may be charged a fortune to get it fixed. Next time, use a power surge between the power adapter and the wall's power outlet. Here's is a brief explanation of what happens with the power jack. Inside of it there are two or three pieces of metal that look like thick wires and what they do is transfer the current to the laptop. Eventually they wear out and break (common cause is having your laptop plugged to the wall continously exposing it to all sorts of power surges). Hope it helps, good luck.
The reason they told your daughter that is because either there isn't a powerful enough CPU and enough memory to support it and also there are no vista drivers for that laptop on Dell's website.
If you decide to put vista on that laptop your going to need to make sure that whatever hardware drivers vista doesn't detect, you'll need to search on the net to find vista compatible drivers if they are out there, it will be time consuming.
My recommendation from my own experience, make sure you have at least a 2GHz processor and 1GB or memory.