Question about Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
It takes almost 30 minutes to start the window and sounds like the hard disk keeps running. Once the window is open, it takes several minutes to open a folder.
Every thing is slower than molasses running on a cold wintery day!
The first thing I would look at is hard drive free space. Almost universally, critically slow systems have a hard drive with no free space. What most people don't seem to understand is that Windows requires a minimum of 10% of the hard drive to be free space to allow the operating system room for swap files and other temporary files needed to run the OS efficiently. This can be made worst by the fact that Windows only reports the size of a file on the hard drive, not the amount of space actually allotted to the file (This has to do with cluster size and the fact that only one file is written to any part of a cluster and in this case it is small files that waste a lot of space)
Things you can do.
1. Run disk cleanup, and get rid all temporary files.
2. If you use an email client like Outlook/Outlook express, delete unwanted emails, then empty the deleted items folder.
3. Open Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, delete all cookies and temporaty internet files.
4. Go to add/remove programs in control panel, uninstall any programs or applications you do not use.
5. If you have a large amount of pictures or music files on the system, burn them to CDs or DVDs and free up that space.
6. Go to System Properties, Advanced Tab, performance section, settings button, select Adjust for Best Performance, Click Apply, Click Advanced TAB, Virtual Memory, Change Button, Select System Managed Size, Click Apply close then reboot.
7. Go to MY Computer, right click C:, Click Properties, Tools Tab, Defragment the Hard Drive
8. Adjust power management to Maximum perofrmance.
Posted on Nov 09, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jul 19, 2011 | Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
May 03, 2011 | Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Notebook
Apr 13, 2011 | Toshiba PC Laptops
Dec 21, 2010 | PC Laptops
Nov 02, 2010 | Dell Inspiron Mini 10 Notebook
Jun 03, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
Mar 09, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
Dec 20, 2007 | Dell Inspiron 1150 Notebook
Dec 28, 2008 | Dell Inspiron 2650 Notebook
351 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!