There is a significant amount of accumulated dust/hair behind the front screen, close to heating elements. The screen holes are too small to allow any cleaning tool to reach. This is a potential fire hazard.
Do you have a solution, other than disassembling the entire unit??
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
These Bionaires (including your 9212 and its taller version, the 9224) have a small temperature safety relay mounted slightly above the ceramic heating elements. Its purpose it to shut off the elements if they overheat, which I would assume would happen if the fan stops working or possibly if the outlet to the front becomes blocked (and these ceramic elements, which are like a radiator core, do get a lot of dust accumulated on the inside which will block air flow). The sensor is a small unit with exposed contacts and if these contacts open (driven by the temperature sensor connected to them) or if these contacts do not have good contact (say by dirt or oxidation build up that makes them effectively fully or partially open) then the ceramic elements will not work. My best suggestion to explain your problem is that the contacts on that safety switch became dirty during storage. The only way to verify that (and possibly repair the unit) requires taking the outside shell off and cleaning the contacts of the safety switch with either a small, fine file (like the old ignition files) or maybe fine emery cloth.
The heater overload switch is sensing an over heating problem and is turning the unit OFF. It may be as simple as a clogged heating element. Over time they do become clogged with dust, lint, pet hair, etc. This is because the air intake for the heating element is a floor level. So, whatever is floating in the household air gets sucked into the heating element when the fan is ON. Using a vacuum with a hose and brush attachment works well in cleaning the heater element. Be sure the unit is OFF & unplugged, before attempting this. You may be able to access the heating element thru the lower louvered door. Or consult your Owner's Manual regarding the cleaning of the unit.
I hope this helped you and thanks for choosing FixYa.
It's only normal, if the heater reached the temperature level you have it set on. More than likely, the heater over heat switch shut the heater down. If that's the case, the heating element may simply need cleaning.
You can accomplish this by turning the unit OFF & Unplugging it. The heater element is under the stove and can be cleaned with a vacuum that has a hose and brush attachment. Even a crevice tool will help. The heaters over a short period of time, can get clogged with dust, lint, pet hair, etc. Keeping them clean will lengthen the longevity of the heater.
From what you have described. it sound like the heating element is overheat and the automatic over heating sensor is shut it down. One of the primary reason these heaters overheat is that the become clogged with dust, lint & pet hair. Cleaning the heating element. may solve your problem. A vacuum cleaner (especially a Shop Vac) that has a hose, a brush attachment and a crevice tool, works well well in cleaning the heating element. Be sure the unit is OFF and unplugged, before attempting any cleaning.
This is a constant problem for ALL electric fireplaces with heaters. Either the Owners Manual fails to the manufacturer not telling you that the heating elements need routine cleaning, because they are sucking in household air to heat it and send it back out, So whatever is float in your household air (dust, lint & pet hair) near the floor goes into it, clogs it up and causes the heating element to overheat and fail. Or customers who have purchased these units don't read the Owners Manual.
These units, no matter who the manufacturer is were not designed to heat for long periods of time. In fact the heater element doesn't produce much more heat that a blow drier on high heat.
The heater and the blower and are in the lower compartment of the firebox. If you can access it, you can clean it with a shop vac and a brush attachment on the end of the hose. Be sure to unplug the fireplace from the wall outlet before attempting this. If cleaning it doesn't help, the blower motor will have to be replaced. You can order one from Dimplex USA.
More than likely it's the Thermal overload circuit or the heating element has given up the ghost.
As I just told one other questioner. These types of electric fireplace heaters were not designed to run for long periods of time. Their heat output is not much more than a blow drier. However, this is not just a problem with CharmGlo, it's with all the manufacturers.
Here's the problem ... The heaters work by taking in cool air, heating it and sending it back out via the blower. Over time, the heating element and/or blower become clogged with dust, lint and/or pet hair. This makes the heating element work harder and it over heats. Either burning out the heating element or the thermal overload switch or both.
You can try cleaning the heating element with a vacuum that has a hose and a brush attachment. While you're at it clean the blower fins and motor. Consult your Owners Manual to see how to access these parts, as they are under firebox, behind the metal grill on the bottom of the firebox, so to speak.
This is an on going problem with electric fireplace/stove type heaters of all types. Not just Dimplex. They are not designed to run for long periods of time and the heat output is not much more than a blower dryer. In any event, they take in cool air, heat it and send it back out. Over time, the heating element becomes clogged with dust, lint and/or pet air. So, they have to work harder to produce a sufficient amount of heat. Cleaning the heating element with a vacuum that has a hose and brush attachment may help. The heating element and blower are under the stove. See your Owners Manual on how to access it. Be sure to unplug the stove before trying to service/clean it.
The 5840 has a problem with dust getting on the heater element and turning itself off after 2 minutes running. HERE IS THE FIX. Unplug the unit from the AC outlet, Then using a can of dusting air ( the kind you use to clean a computer key board) aim the compressed air INTO the middle louver of the upper adjustable heater vent and blow out the dust that has gotten on the heater element. ( You are actually blowing into the unit, clearing off the lint/dust that has gotten on the backside of the heater element that you can not see without openning the entire case).You can see the front of the heater element inside the louvers, It's the shinny metal part that looks like a small radiator.It sits behind the middle louver. After blowing out the dust, shake the entire unit to allow the dust to settle to the bottom of the case. Using a vacum cleaner try to vacum out any dust from the LOWER FRONT intake. Once the dust has been blown OFF the heater element, the unit will work just as new and not shut itself down!
i have the same problem ... i almost throw this heater out ,, the fix .. open the unit theres 6 screw at the back.. remove it if you have problem removing the triangle screw use the small square head screw ...size 0 and then you also need to open the black plastic .. i believe it has 8 screws .. then vaccuum all the dust .. chances are the front and the back of the heating element is covered with dust .. after that put all back together and i guaranteed it should work like brand new ,,,, dont worry its not that hard ... the only hard thing for me was removing the 2 triangle screws at the back .. Goodluck