Question about Kenmore 62642 / 62644 / 62649 Microwave Oven
Our microwave runs but made a super load pop sound with a flame in the vent above the LCD display. I immediately stopped cooking, but when we tried to cook again the pop and flame came again. Haven't tried again. Is it worth repairing or does this sound like we need a replacement.
I Started To Cook Dinner, When I Heard A Pop,, Then a Flash above the Keypad In The vent,, The Microwave works But it does Not Heat, and makes a Very load Buzzing Sound,,,, Any Suggestions
Posted on Apr 19, 2008
I believe the flame is caused by the waveguide cover. It is a thin semi-metallic cover that goes over the magnetron opening. My new GE microwave also had a fire, the waveguide cover was burning and being fueled by the microwaves. It turns it into a plasma fire. I called GE and they are sending a new cover. I turned the cover over and it seems to work fine now. I wonder if the cover can be installed backwards? This can be dangerous if you are not there to shut the microwave down. It could burn down the whole house.
Posted on Jan 04, 2008
I had the same problem with my GE JVM1630WB 004. It finally quit working at all. I took it apart and found the magnetron was discolored where it had been arching and burning. The magnetron was still under warranty and they had the part to me in 2 days. The part was easy to replace and it works like new now. Most manufactures warrant the magnetron 4-15 years. Please do not attempt if you are not accustomed to working near dangerous electrical sources.
Good Luck. Fksarver
Posted on Nov 29, 2007
Someone already said it, but check the waveguide cover inside the microwave and take it out and clean it if its dirty. I have aso seen screws come loose and fall into thecooling fins on the magnetron casing an arcing. Be careful if you take it apart and let the thing sit unplugged for a while to let the voltage bleed out of the high voltage capacitor. Most newer ones are self bleeding and don't take too long to do so.
Posted on Oct 04, 2006
It sounds like you're saying a flame and pop came out of the area where the internal electronics are? If that's the case, then I would suspect a failed high-voltage transformer, bad magnetron or that another high-voltage component is arcing, like maybe damaged wiring, but that's rare unless... ... I hate to suggest it, but maybe a "critter" has made his way into the high-voltage section! That can cause some really "interesting" effects! If the flame and pop are coming out of the cooking cavity, then it could be food debris or grease underneath the waveguide cover or in the waveguide. I would say the likliest cause is a failed HV transformer. If it's still under warranty, I'd call Sears right away to verify that. If it's not under warranty, you may want to pull it from the wall yourself and take it in to Sears or another shop yourself. You'll probably save about $50 as opposed to letting them come out to the home to service it.
Posted on Oct 04, 2006
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 18, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven
Apr 08, 2011 | Bosch HMV9305 Microwave Oven
Feb 12, 2018 | GE SpaceMaker Microwave Ovens
Dec 01, 2010 | Sharp R-1511 Microwave Oven
Sep 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Sep 11, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
Apr 26, 2009 | Whirlpool GH8155XJ Microwave Oven
Jan 22, 2009 | Microwave Ovens
That does indeed sound like the mag is overheating and the thermostat is tripping, but it's probably not the steam.
Do you feel a good amount of air flowing through the vents?
If the cooling fan is not running or the air vents are blocked, that wil allow the magnetron to overheat.
If air flow is not a problem, then you may have a defective magnetron.
Assuming it's still under warranty, it would be best to let a Magic Chef-authorized servicer handle it.
For more help from Magic Chef / Ewave : http://www.mcappliance.com/ ; Contact page http://www.mcappliance.com/contactus/contactus.asp ; Order
Sep 10, 2007 | Microwave Ovens
437 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: