Question about Linksys WRT160N Wireless Router
Are you using a DSL modem? What is the brand of your modem? The setup CD is could be detecting your modem and not the Linksys router. I believe your modem is also a router that's why the setup says that you already have a router.
To fix that, do the following steps:
-Disconnect the router from the modem
-Connect your computer to port 1 on the router.
1. Open Internet Explorer and type http://192.1680.1.1 on the address bar
2. It will prompt you for username and password. By default, no username and password is admin. If the default password didn't work, try to type your own password for the router.
3. When you get to the setup page, Look for Local IP Address or Router IP Address. That is 192.168.1.1. Change that to 192.168.2.1
4. Click on Save Settings at the bottom of the page.
5. After saving, unplug the power to the router for 10 seconds then plug it back in.
6. Now connect the router back to the modem. Modem should be connected to the Internet port of the router and your PC to port 1.
That should do it.
Posted on Nov 03, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Sep 18, 2013 | NetGear WGT624 Router
Jul 15, 2011 | Computers & Internet
Mar 18, 2010 | D-Link AirPlus DI-524 Wireless Router
Feb 11, 2010 | Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless Router
Feb 06, 2010 | NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router
Jan 22, 2010 | NetGear WNR1000 Router
Dec 13, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 13, 2009 | NetGear WGR614 Router
Apr 30, 2009 | Acer Computers & Internet
1,710 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!