Question about HP Business Notebook 530
My new HP530 comes with free dos and can not install xp from cd
Tips for a great answer:
Note: The Microsoft Windows XP CD is a bootable CD and in many cases you should not need a bootable floppy diskette. Booting from the Windows XP CD will allow you to not only install/re-install Windows XP but will also allow you to troubleshoot it.
Create MS-DOS bootable diskette
When formatting a floppy diskette, users have the option of creating a MS-DOS startup disk, follow the below steps to do this.
1. Place diskette in the computer.
2. Open My Computer, right-click the A: drive and click Format.
3. In the Format window, check Create an MS-DOS startup disk.
4. Click Start
Create Windows XP Setup diskettes
Microsoft is beginning to phase out bootable floppy diskettes in favor of bootable CD discs and has not included a method of easily creating a bootable floppy diskette in Windows XP or from the CD. However, Microsoft has downloads available for users who still need to create bootable diskettes to install (not upgrade) Windows XP. These downloads can be found through KB310994.
hope this helps
Sep 24, 2012 | PC Laptops
1. Check your BIOS to be sure your computer will boot from a CD.
Enter the BIOS setup by pressing the "Delete" or F2 or "F12"
key, or as directed at the startup screen, immediately after booting. Set the
first boot device to "CDROM" or "DVDROM" instead of
"hard drive" if it isn't already.
2. MS-DOS command prompt
Insert the Windows XP installation CD into your CD or DVD drive
and restart the computer. When prompted, choose to start from the MS-DOS
command prompt with CD support. The MS-DOS command prompt will appear in a
3. Start SMARTDRIVE by typing "SMARTDRV" at the DOS prompt
and pressing enter. You don't have to run SMARTDRIVE, but copying the files
will be much quicker if you do. The computer will display the DOS prompt again.
4. Enter "CD I386" at the DOS prompt to change to the
directory where the setup program starts.
5. Enter "WINNT" at the prompt to start Windows XP setup.
The installation program will copy files to your computer and then display a
message requesting to reboot.
6. Press the "Enter" key to reboot. The setup program will
start again and check that your hard drive format is compatible with Windows
XP. If not, it will guide you through partitioning and formatting the drive and
then ask you to reboot once more.
7. Press "Enter" to reboot. The computer will restart in Windows XP mode and automatically start the Windows Setup Wizard to detect your hardware and finish the installation.
Feb 21, 2011 | PC Laptops
Mar 29, 2010 | MSI Crystal M677 Notebook
Sep 12, 2009 | Compaq Presario Notebook
Aug 17, 2009 | HP PC Laptops
Jun 09, 2009 | PC Laptops
Apr 13, 2009 | PC Laptops
Sep 06, 2008 | Compaq Evo N610C Notebook
Apr 08, 2008 | HP Pavilion dv6000z Notebook
42 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: