My phone got wet
I fixed a few "got wet" phones by doing the following:
> First, check phone's manual or search on internet to see if it has some type of fuse. If so, check this fuse for continuity. If fuse is OK, proceed to dry out phone using one of the methods below, or think of an arrangement that would be just as good.
> Take battery out, dry it with towel. Keep battery out of unit and away from heat.
> Using a gas oven that has a working pilot light (small single flame), you can dry out the rest of phone by placing a cookie sheet on oven's middle rack..place a small towel on cookie sheet...and put the phone (with the battery cover off) on towel.
> Making sure pilot light is on, leave phone in oven for at least 2 days (48 hours). This technique will dry out the phone without turning it into a lump of plastic.
> If need be, make sure no one turns the oven on during this time by taping the oven's temp knob so that it won't move easily. Also, having an explanation note taped to the main knob helps.
> What if I don't have a gas range? Use a food dehydrator with at least 6 trays, phone on top tray-well away from heating element. The dehydrator should be set at lowest temp. Still use 2 days as drying time.
> Do not use an electric oven unless it can be set for 120 degrees F and does not go much above that temp.
> Use of a thermometer with ANY drying method is recommended. Place thermometer right next to phone. If temp goes above 120 Deg F, adjust whatever you can to keep temp in check.
> If you have no other choice, an electric lamp with a 60 Watt light bulb will suffice.....just get a cardboard box to contain everything......and play with the arrangement for correct temp and most important, make sure light bulb is not near anything that might possibly catch fire.
> With any solution that uses heat to dry phone, make sure you check temperature several times during first day and a few times on the second day.
> If everything goes as it should, your phone will be dry...inside and out, ready to check!
> Replace battery and it's cover, hook up phone charger......and see what happens.
> If it still does not work, that would strongly indicate an internal short circuit....especially if phone was turned on when it got wet. Time either for a new phone, or have original phone fixed.
Apr 07, 2008 |
Samsung BlackJack Smartphone