My VSX-515 is less than one year old, and suddenly stopped turning on at all. The unit was always surge protected, and there are no blown fuses on the inside. I believe that the AC outlet might responsible, as it briefly had a device that drew more power than a normal CD-player, DVD, etc. It there any easy way to rectify the situation?
Our VSX-515-S quit suddenly while playing when it was turned up quite loud. The power would not come back on. I disconnected it, and opened it up. No fuses were blown, but there was no voltage in the power supply. When I pressed the on button, I could hear a very faint click, but no power. I even took some parts out and replaced them.
I went on line and bought a service manual download for $7.95.
Within 5 minutes, I found where the service manual said if there was a DC overload, the power would cut off. To reset, press the ENTER + ADVANCED SURROUND key simultaneously and hold for 3 seconds.
I did this and the power came back on. It even remembered the last FM station it was tuned to. Problem s.olved
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 200 questions.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
Re: Won't power on
Getting Rapairs For This Unit may not be an option, I went to pioneer site for support and this particular model wasn't listed. There was a support box that allowed u to search for a service center but did not have the 515 model listed only newer updated models which means they may not be offering replacement parts or service for that unit.If u do get the unit repaired , u must look at the environment thatn,u have your receiver in, remember receivers generate lots of heat and need space to vent that heat otherwise the parts inside generating the heat will overheat and stop working.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Generally speaking, an amp attempts to protect itself from heat, shorts, overloads and operator exuberance by refusing to turn on or stay on.
Overloads can be from excessive periods of high output or marginally low impedance loading by the speakers; and shorts would be wiring issues or a speaker blowing up.
You should be able to feel if it's hot. WHY is it overheating? Make sure it has sufficient ventilation on all sides and that vent holes are not blocked by dust balls. Ensure the fan (if equipped) is running as designed (some only operate on demand). Clean dust and debris from it.
If the amp comes back on after cooling, you're lucky. They only have so many self-protection cycles in their lives so continuously resetting or cycling their power without addressing the cause can do more harm than good.
If it protects immediately on a cool power up you should disconnect the speaker connections and try it 'nekkid'. If it comes up then diagnose which lead(s) are shorted. If it does not come up the problem is internal and should be left to an experienced and competent hands-on tech.
I am sure you have tried and disconnecting all the speakers and taking the unit to another outlet right? If it works you fried your surge and need to replace it. Otherwise the unit went into that strange power protection mode
If the power relay clicks, this means that the coil is good but the relay contacts may be dirty (contacts need to be cleaned or the relay replaced).
If the relay does not click, then it might be a bad fuse, a bad relay coil or a faulty relay drive circuitry, no power to the relay drive circuit, possibly an internal overload or a short somewhere in the unit which causes the unit to stay off to protect itself from further damage that might occur if it had turned on.
I think you're making this way more complex than it is.
This unit should have no trouble with any reputable speaker. Don't read too much into short term impedance readings as long as you run only one speaker per channel. Every speaker has a dip somewhere in its frequency range and the Pioneer will probably protect itself and the speaker should impedance or current get too out of whack. This is a high end unit and has plenty of clean power to feed any speakers out there.
I'd buy it if I didn't already have a 6-year old predecessor (VSX-T36TX) that I paid twice as much for and has only 5 amplified channels, less features and lower power output. ;-(