Is there any way to troubleshoot this BESIDES replacing the ball or taking the whole machine apart to dust it off? i'm not that good with this kind of stuff.....and more importantly my contract with tmobile is up and i refuse to be shoehorned into another lengthy commitment with them by exchanging my phone!!!!
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: trackball doesn't move down
If the trackball is not scrolling or even moving in the proper direction this can mean a couple of different things. It is possible that it is just dirty. Yet it is very common that the trackballs can get roughed up over time and a replacement may be necessary. Trackballs are easy to fix and you wont even need to go to your cell phone provider for a replacement (they will probably over charge you, or as you said, ****** you into a new contract).
A few ways to clean the trackball can be:
1. Use something to hold the trackball in place while the other hand uses some sort of rubbing alcohol to wipe the trackball.
2. This is a little more technical but it is VERY easy. Removing the trackball is extremely easy. You can use a simple screw driver to flip off the silver ring around the trackball and simply turn the phone over and tap it a few times to have the ball out. When the ball is out, using rubbing alcohol to simply clean around it. Just be careful... the trackball mechinism is VERY fragile. To replace it, the ball can only go in 2 ways and determining this is very easy, if it goes back in, it goes in, if not, move it. Putting the ball back in requires barely any force. Then the silver ring only goes in 1 way. The three hooks slide right in.
3. Replacing the trackball is the last idea. I have replaced my trackball on my Blackberry once already. You can find replacement trackballs for a cheap price on amazon, ranging from $2-10. You can also find them on ebay or simply googling Blackberry Trackball Replacement. The same way to replace the ball is as I said to remove it.
There are many videos or instructions on the web for replacing or taking out the trackball.
Glad to help you out with your Blackberry device! Good luck!
a 6ya Technician can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Technician (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
If you are are confident enough to have ago you can take it apart you will need a stardriver and a bit of patience when you take the cover off there will be connecting strips from the keypad back(3 of them), 2 at the top and 1 at the lower side right, genly pop them off.
This will give access to the rear of the keypad where you can blow dust from the roller ball mechanism, gently wipe the sensor on the motherboard and replace reverse order, grease and debrit gather in the mechanism from pockets etc then the use of the ball pushes it inside, hope this helps.
My ball was sticking on my Blackberry curve ..I simply got a pin and gently ran pin under the metal edge of the ball..it worked.whether it removed the dust or what I'm not sure..but I'm pleased it is sorted...
My Blackberry does the exact same thing. The trackball will scroll around, and it will select what I wish for it to select but it won't actually "click" or move into the phone.
The phone itself has a built in mechanism underneath, near the trackball and is very fragile and if it is broken, the pushing in or "click" will not occur anymore.
Unfortunately this mechanism is not replaceable without taking apart the phone itself. You can contact your service provider for a replacement, but I, and many others, are just living with the problem.
Hope this helps you out!
Dust has a tendancy to collect under the ball at the 3 contact tips (you should look under the ball)and it is possible enough dust collected when the ball was removed, that the dust particles became a large dust ball and lodged under the ball making it impossible to move!
Remove the ball and clean the area and replace the ball and it should work fine.
RIM will admit, its a known issue with the blackberry 8100...it was the first blackberry with a front trackball and so there is a design flaw that dust will get in here and prevent the magnets from moving around inside.
the little silver rim is acutally designed to be taken off so you can clean inside. take an embrodery needle, and put it under the silver rim by the TY button on the keypad....once this pops off, there is the ball and there are 2 more silver rims inside along with 4 magnets. remember how you take this apart, cause if you dont, then this will void any warrenty your phone might have.
in order to clean this, soak the ball in rubbing alchohol and take a cotten ended Q-tip with rubbing alchohol and damp it a little bit and clean it real well.....its also nice preventative doing this regularly...,. (not taking the ball out, but just cleaning the rim and ball about once every other day or so....)