Question about Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
I have a Linksys wireless router (G broadband 2.4 GHz). It's brilliant and I rarely have any problems with it. My dilema is that my wi-fi is not protected and I have no idea how to protect it. I have a P.C and a MAC. Initially I connected to the internet through cable but when I bought my new MAC a few years ago a friend installed my router too so that both my computers could access the internet. The router is now plugged into the cable socket and obviously I access the internet via wi-fi.
Have you got any ideas as to how I begin to protect my wi-fi now?
Many Thanks, Jennie
Given that you have setup the Internet connection on your router, encrypting the wireless security will be fairly easy for you. Just follow these steps.
1. You should use you PC or MAC that is connected directly to the router via an ethernet cable. You can use PC or MAC, which ever is connected directly to the router (Connected thru cable not wireless).
2. Open Internet Explorer / Firefox (PC) or Safari / Firefox / Internet Explorer (MAC), then go to the address bar and type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar and press enter. A window will pop up prompting you for a username and password to access the configuration page for your router. Leave the username blank and type admin as the password (**If that will not work, (Enter admin for both the username and password)
3. You should see the Setup page shown below :
4. Click on the Wireless tab at the top of the settings screen. Change the Wireless Network Name (SSID) from the default value to something unique (you can use your name or last name, or any name that you would like, because that will be the name of your wireless network, that will be the one that your wireless computers will detect) then click on Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed.
5. Now click on the Wireless Security subsection at the top of the page. In order to password protect your wireless network first use the Security Mode dropdown box to select WEP and then from the WEP Security dropdown box select 64 bits 10 hex digits. Choose a password between 6 and 8 characters and type it into the Passphrase box. Then click Generate. It Will generate 4 keys (Key 1-4). You will use key 1 as your password.
6. Finally click Save Settings and then Continue when the Settings are successful dialog is displayed.
7. Now let your wireless PC scan for available wireless networks, find the name of the wireless network that you have specified earlier for SSID then connect to that network. Of course since the network is password protected, it will ask you to enter a password, this is time that you will enter the network key (Key 1 - password).
Posted on Oct 29, 2008
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 06, 2011 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Oct 23, 2010 | Linksys WRT54GC Compact Wireless-G...
Apr 18, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jan 20, 2010 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 09, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Jul 16, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Feb 18, 2009 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Dec 12, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
Nov 30, 2008 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
May 08, 2014 | Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router
144 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: