Igniter clicking when all four knobs in off position after water spill
I accidently spilled water on the surface of my cooktop. About an hour later the igniter started randomly clicking even though all four knobs were in off position. We unplugged unit to stop it. Should we have it looked at or will the problem go away after everything dries out?
An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.
An expert who has answered 20 questions.
Re: igniter clicking when all four knobs in off position...
It is possible that once the unit dries out the clicking will stop. If it doesn't, you will need to call someone to have the problem addressed. You will need a spark module and or an ignition switch(s).
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Each of the knobs has a little white rotary switch on it's shaft below the cooktop. You've likely got water in one of those switches and it's making the connection in the switch to start the igniter circuit. Unplug/turn off the breaker to the unit. If it's just water and not a sauce or noodle water or something else impure, you may be able to let it dry out without too much trouble. You could try pulling off the knobs and sucking at the openings with a wet/dry vac to try to get more water out of the switches. The worry is corrosion from being wet too long. If it isn't working after drying out, you'll need a new set of switches.
the burners use a sw on the gas shaft of each burner to make the igniton work. i belive one of the sw are shorted or housing broken . replace it . / tip when I replace one i do them all .. saves time later . falure caused by spills ect and normal ware .. mm
The most common cause for this issue is from liquid getting into the ignition system for the range. If someone has spilled water or other liquids into the burner knobs or the ignition system it will cause an electrical short in the system causing the igniters to come on constantly when the knobs are off. The fix to this is to unplug the range and wait 24 hours for the liquids to dry up. You can speed up this process with a hair dryer pointed at the burner stems(knobs removed). Once the liquids have dried up the problem should stop. I would not leave it plugged in until then because the ignition system could be damaged from the constant sparking.
replace your spark module have you spilled liquid on the cooktop recently? if yes let it dry for a couple of days and see what happens. sometimes when you spill liquid on the cooktop it grounds out the spark module and it will continue to spark until it drys. let me know if you need more help
The igniter module is working fine. One of the switches (which are on each valve shaft) is stuck or shorted out. Pull a wire off each one at a time to determine which one is bad. Careful! 120 volts to each wire. Also, this can happen after you spill water into the valve area, if that sounds right, let it dry out.
The water that you spilled onto the cooktop has shorted out the ignition switch in the gas control knob. Don't worry though no permanent damage has been done. Leave it unplugged from the electrical outlet for a day or two until the liquid dries out. You can manually light the burners with matches or a BBQ lighter in the meantime. If you want to try and speed up the drying process you can use a hair dryer.
your spark modual got shorted with the liquid you sprayed in there or spilled you can try unplugging it overnight to let it dry. at least 24 hours or you can take the cooktop of and get a hairdryer and dry out the spark modual.or if you wait 24 hours - 3 days and still not dried out you need to replace your spark modual but more than likley give it time it will fix itself.
Sounds like the spill got into one of the burner switches. This is not a big problem. Once it drys out it should return to normal. However if it keeps on clicking it could mean that one of the switches shorted out and will need to be replaced. The switches are located under the burner control knobs on the valve. Hope this helps. Catriver