Question about Measuring Tools & Sensors

1 Answer

Awning fixed to existing brick retaining wall

I am constructing a flat roofed (scillion) awning. The highest point of the awning is attacked to the house and the lowest point is supported by 90 x 90 timber posts. These posts are on metal feet which are sitting on top of a existing brick retaining wall which is about 700mm high and 300mm thick.
My question is, how long of a bolt will I have to use to attach these metal feet to the wall or how deep will I have to drill and use a threaded rod to aquire sufficient strenght to stop the up draft effect from lifting up the awning.
Hope you can help
Regards Shane

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that gotĀ 5 achievements.


    An expert who has answered 200 questions.


    An expert whose answer gotĀ voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 242 Answers

If I were you, I'd use the threaded rod imbedded about 100mm in the wall. Make sure you have at least 5 threads showing after you tighten down the nut on the threaded rod. That will help you decide on the length of the rod. Make sure you use epoxy to hold the threaded rod in place and everything will be fine. However, if a big enough wind comes by, the awning may come loose from your house. Have you thought about a retractable awning? It will roll up next to your house. You only have to unroll it and connect the legs in prepositioned holders. During a storm, you probably won't be outside anyways, better to have the awning rolled up for safety.

Posted on Oct 28, 2008

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

My spectra hv101 rotates but the line is not visible even 2 inches from unit

First be sure to check the obvious such as batteries and cleaning the battery connection points. If that doesn't do it, try freezing the instrument by placing it in a deep freeze for at least 45 minutes. I had two non functioning laser diodes on my 5 point Stanley Laser and for some unknown (to me) reason it worked like a charm.

Sep 16, 2011 | Spectra HV101 Multipurpose Construction...

1 Answer

I want to frame a closet do I just need 2by4's or should I use 2by6's

Framing lumber for interior non-load bearing walls is typically 2x4 in house construction. Even load bearing interior walls often only require 2x4 framing, but could require 2x6 framing depending on the load they carry(the load is how much weight of the roof or upper floors is being supported by the wall). Sometimes 2x6 framing is used for interior walls that have plumbing drain pipes to make it easier to fit them, likewise if the interior wall has heat/air ducting in it. Another reason to use 2x6 is to allow better sound proofing or higher insulation rating. If none of the special cases I've cited apply, then 2x4 is what I would use to frame a closet.

Feb 18, 2011 | RTO M-D Building Products Carpentry &...

1 Answer

How do I build a frame that goes inside a brick recess to hold a microwave oven an electric oven and drawers below. The ovens are approx wide600mm drawers will be the same. The hole in the kitchen wall...

I suppose you could build a box in the recess (top, back, and sides) with 3/4 inch plywood and screw cleates to that at the correct levels. This would give you some decent wood to fasten the front trim to as well as provide a robust inner structure for your oven units to mount to. For the drawers, you can make a simple box carcass with the same material to fasten your hardware and slides to. With strength sorted out you can then concentrate on knocking up a pleasant fascia with the wood, tile or laminate of your choice. That's my thought on it. I bet you get a few good answers as that is a good thought provoking project you have there.Regards, Farmerbear

Sep 04, 2010 | RTO M-D Building Products Carpentry &...

1 Answer

How do I remove a piece of paper picture glued to a wall paper?

You can try goof off or one of those gum removers, it might work. It might damage the wall paper so try it in a low spot first to see what happens. Check it out.

Jun 27, 2010 | RTO M-D Building Products Carpentry &...

1 Answer

Supporting a load bearing wall

The floor/roof loads above will be a bigger unknown than the ceiling itself. The wall MAY be replacable with properly sized beam/column combinations but you will need to have a design professional look for adauate footing size, calculate floor loads (and roof loads if any), and size the beam/column system to support ALL of the loads now carried by the wall. If you have access to the origional floor and roof framing plans they will be a great help, otherwise someone will need to do some investigating to make thoes design judgements.
In 23 years working as a building inspector I'v seen way too many structural problems caused by inadaquate beam installations, Its worth the time and money to do it right.
Good Luck.

Nov 09, 2009 | Measuring Tools & Sensors

1 Answer

Not sure how to find actual length of hip rafters from plumb cut at ridge to birdsmouth at wallplate.I have 2 stanley quick squares but have misplaced the little instruction books.I would appreciate your...

Use Pythagorus. Measure the horizontal length from the plumb ridge cut to the position where the horizontal birds mouth touches the top plate on the wall closest to the ridge. This point should be 1 1/2" in from the outside edge of the wall. This is your run.
Now measure the vertical height from the top of your wall plate to the where the bottom of your vertical cut from the rafter will end up on your ridge. This is your rise.
A squared plus B squared equals C squared. Get your calculator out, if the run is 12 feet and the rise is 4 feet, then 12 squared (144) + 4 squared (16) equals 160. The square root of 160 is 12.65 ft. or 12 feet 7.79" long. There are other ways, but this is most accurate. Make sure your ridge is parallel to you wall.

Sep 29, 2009 | Stanley 46 - 050 10 - 3/4" x 6" Quick...

1 Answer

Method on how to attach cornice

What type cornice? As there are many types for many window coverings and type of walls such as drywall, brick and plaster but any Ace, Home Depot or any hardware store will carry anchors for you application

Sep 29, 2009 | Bon Tool Construction Book Store Co....

5 Answers

Wet ceilings

You must conact your roofer and complain... COMPLAIN.. it sounds like you have a leak and the installers have allowed moistere to get under the roofing materials...!!!

Basically water expands when it freezes (ice cube tray.. over filled ) so if there's any kind of leak the water penetrates.. feezes allowing it to migrate up under the materials and then as the warm air from inside the attic causes the ice to then melt. I'd call and find out what the deal is.. especially if this has been going on SINCE the new roof was installed....

good luck

Oct 26, 2008 | Measuring Tools & Sensors

Not finding what you are looking for?
Measuring Tools & Sensors Logo

Related Topics:

557 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Measuring Tools & Sensors Experts

Vuk B

Level 3 Expert

678 Answers

Brad Brown

Level 3 Expert

13765 Answers

Tom Chichester

Level 3 Expert

26189 Answers

Are you a Measuring Tool and Sensor Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides