Question about Hammering

1 Answer

What is the grounding requirements for a residential home?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 3,287 Answers

Depending on your locality, these requirements may differ from what is specified by the National Electrical Code (NEC or "code"). The NEC is commonly regarded as the minimum requirements for electrical installations, and many states adopt it without modification as their requirements, too. Still others modify it and some counties and towns further modify the code. It is for these reasons, you should consult your local code enforcement office to learn what the authority having jurisdiction (AHJ) wants to see when (s)he inspects the work.

Typically, an 8' grounding electrode (or ground rod) is driven into the ground and an approved clamp is used to secure an unspliced grounding electrode conductor to the neutral bar in the meter socket or service entrance equipment. The size of this conductor is based on the service entrance (SE) conductors. Typical sizes are when:

100 amp SE conductors are #4 copper (CU) or #2 aluminum (AL), requires a #8 CU or #6 AL grounding electrode conductor.

150 amp SE conductors that are #1 CU or 2/0 AL require a #6 CU or #4 AL grounding electrode conductor.

200 amp SE conductors that are 2/0 or 3/0 CU or 4/0 or 250 AL require a #4 CU or #2 AL grounding electrode conductor.

You may be required to provide a secondary grounding electrode if you can not provide data supporting minimum soil resistivity to the AHJ.

Lastly, bonding of the residence's cold water pipes is required. A #8 is used for 100 amp services and #6 for up to 200 amp services. If on a public water supply, the bonding conductor must be connected on the street side of the meter and the house side of the meter (should the meter be removed there will be no voltage present to injure the person removing the meter) to the grounding electrode conductor termination bar in the meter socket or ground bar in the service entrance equipment. Installation and connection of an IBT (Intersystem Bonding Terminal) is required for telephone, cable TV, etc. You may need to bond gas piping and metal duct work., and some locations specifically prohibit bonding one or more of these items.

The short of this is you must determine the requirements of your locality. The AHJ can tell what they are - but will probably not tell you how to do it.

I hope this was helpful.

Posted on Feb 24, 2012

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a GloWarm propane/lp gas space heater. Can I use bottled propane tanks?

no you can't, and aren't you worried about carbon monoxide poisoning? Where does the burnt air go?

GloWarm Heaters - ventfree infrared heaters
GloWarm Infrared heaters are residential gas space heaters that are ventfree,
so no venting is required

GloWarm Plaque Infrared heaters direct heat from radiant plaques that
"warm like the sun."

Infrared heaters heat objects in the room before the air,
making them ideal for un-insulated rooms in your home.

All propane heaters require a 100 lb. tank or larger!

GloWarm Heaters ventfree infrared heaters

Oct 27, 2015 | Heating & Cooling


AFCI-GFCI Circuit Breakers - Your Home’s Electric Service has Never Been Safer

Would you ever consider driving a vehicle without functional brakes? Probably not. Driving such a vehicle is simply too dangerous and yet the majority of Americans do something every day that is potentially more dangerous than driving a car with no brakes. We live with home electrical service that is not nearly as safe as it should be. As a result, thousands are killed or seriously injured by electrical malfunction, electrocution and electrical fires every year. What's even more alarming is that most homeowners are unaware of this sobering fact or assume making their home's electrical service safer is unaffordable. Thankfully a recent breakthrough in residential electrical service technology is making it easier and more affordable than ever for homeowners to protect their families from electrocution, electrical fires and other deadly electrical safety hazards.

The Problem with Your Home's Electrical Service
The majority of homes in the U.S. today are approximately 40 years old and unless they have had their electrical service updated to the latest National Electric Code (NEC), they contain either fuses or traditional circuit breakers in their electrical panels. While fuses and circuit breakers look and function differently, they both serve the same purpose. They interrupt the flow of electricity to a circuit in your home if they sense an overload or electrical short.
For decades fuses and circuit breakers have been the main electrical safety component of most home electrical services. The problem with traditional fuses and circuit breakers that most people are unaware of is that they don't provide protection from some of the most common and most deadly of residential electrical hazards, electrical fires and electrocution.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) reported that in 2011 that nearly 2000 people were killed or injured in home electrical fires alone. This doesn't include the countless others killed or seriously injured as a result of accidental electrocution. What's worse is that most homeowners are unaware that almost all of these deaths and injuries can now be prevented by an inexpensive and revolutionary new type of circuit breaker, known as the AFCI/GFCI or Dual Function circuit breaker.

What are Arc Faults and Ground Faults and why are they so dangerous?
The acronym AFCI stands for Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter and this device is designed to cut the flow of electricity when it senses an arc fault. If you have ever plugged in an extension cord or flipped a light switch and heard a loud popping sound, then you have experienced an arc fault. The sound that you hear is actually electricity jumping from one electrical contact in the plug or switch to another. Though this might seem harmless, an arc fault causes an excessive amount of heat in your home's wiring which, over time, can actually melt the wiring's insulation leaving the wire exposed. This can lead to an electrical fire. Since the majority of your home's wiring is hidden behind its walls, it's almost impossible to know if your home is at risk.
GFCI stands for Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. Much like an AFCI, a GFCI is designed to cut the flow of electricity to a circuit; however a GFCI is triggered not by an electrical arc, but rather a ground fault. This is when electricity travels outside of its intended path as it tries to find the shortest path to ground. An example of this is when a person with a live electrical wire touches the ground or something resting on the ground that can conduct electricity. The electrical current will travel through the person's body as it seeks the shortest path to ground, electrocuting them in the process. It only takes 1/10 of an amp to kill a human being. To give you an idea of just how little power that is, the average 60 watt household light bulb draws 5 times the power needed to kill a person.

Why are these dual function AFCI/GFCI circuit breakers so important?
Prior to the development to the AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker if the NEC called for a specific area in the home to be AFCI and GFCI protected, typically laundry rooms and kitchens, to have both AFCI protection and GFCI protection electricians had to use a GFCI outlet and an AFCI circuit breaker to meet this requirement. The problem was that this was rather inefficient and troublesome, especially when the circuit was tripped because the homeowner had to check both the outlet and the circuit breaker to see which had tripped and then reset it. Not only does the dual function AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker eliminate this problem, it also provides better protection and can be installed on every circuit in your home quickly and easily for ultimate protection. Residential Electrician

on Jun 05, 2015 | General Electric Electrical Supplies

1 Answer

Lights flicker

Depending on the size of the service in the house this could be a normal condition. Most newer homes have at least a 200 amp feed from the power company. If it is older it might only have a 60 amp( usually glass or cartridge fused) or 100 amp service. Could also be a loose ground or if the unit is grounded by just a conduit connection. May need to have a ground run from the breaker panel to the water heater.

Nov 02, 2014 | Rheem RTE 27 Residential Electric Tankless...

1 Answer

How to wire a cooper Quadra Mark MH 277 Volt light

Quadra mark is commercial metal halide light
It appears the 208-240 480V model is different from 120, 277 or 347V model.
You cannot connect 277Volt light to 240Volt
These are two different things.
Commercial 277V has 1 hot leg and a neutral (very similar to residential 120V which also has 1 hot leg and neutral)
While residential 240V has 2 hot legs

Check rating label on light and see if it shows 120V in addition to 277V
If rating plate shows 120V, then it should work.

Residential 240Volt has 2 hot legs, each Hot leg measures 120V to ground
So you can use one Hot leg from the 240Volt breaker, and use ground wire to make 120Volt circuit.
Using ground wire to complete circuit in this manner is completely out of code and not recommended by any professional electrician. But it will work.

Apr 16, 2013 | Electrical Supplies

2 Answers

What is the standard size of a residential front or side door?

Exterior doors are usually 6'8" tall and 32" wide

Jan 10, 2013 | Building Materials

1 Answer

Residential reroof, 3 layers comp. is ice & water required over eaves & rakes ???

Probably not required unless an older home or low slope roof, but very easy and not expensive to do when re-roofing. When attics were poorly insulated snow would melt above the attic from heat lost from the house, then refreeze at the eave causing an ice dam. More melting water hits the ice dam then back up under roof shingles and felt paper.

It is not required, but your specific conditions could warranty it. If your roofer is recommending it I would do it.

Aug 28, 2011 | Jensen JER-422 Universal Remote Control

1 Answer

Nec etw 8-2 wont work at home?

Sorry, but there is no way to get this phone to work on your normal residential phone jack. It was designed to be used as part of a key system, which requires the control system (also called the KSU). The phones are a proprietary digital design and only work when attached to the proper KSU. Unless you want to try locating the rest of the system on eBay or purchase through some other vendor, all you can do with the phone is use it as a paperweight.

Mar 12, 2010 | NEC DTU 8-1 Corded Phone

1 Answer

Home blt.62 I am installing ceiling fan. when installed,fan works

You need to contact an electrician and have them evaluate your home's wiring in its entirety. They should also inspect the other work you've done. The wiring in your house is NOT to be installed in the same manner as the wiring in a boat or RV. You don't use heat shrink in stead of UL-approved splices (most commonly wire nuts in a residential application) and black tape. This is exactly why so many places require that any work on an electrical system be performed by a licensed electrician.

It sounds like somewhere in your house, you have a short to ground and your ground rod isn't diverting this voltage to ground. If it were functioning correctly, it would most likely trip the breaker on the affected circuit. This is not something to take lightly. Your safety and that of your family is at stake here.

May 17, 2009 | Speed Ceiling Fan 3-speed Switch By...

2 Answers

Residential Electrical Wiring Current NEC

On a 120/240Volt single phase system is:

Black = 1st phase
Red = 2nd phase
White = neutral
Green or Bare = ground

3 phase is the same with the third phase being blue.

Jul 28, 2008 | Motorola 3-Wire Surveillance Headset...

Not finding what you are looking for?
Hammering Logo

Related Topics:

123 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Hammering Experts

John Trevino

Level 3 Expert

1383 Answers


Level 3 Expert

3287 Answers

Pieter Vleeshouwers
Pieter Vleeshouwers

Level 3 Expert

1793 Answers

Are you a Hammering Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides