The hardware alarm being indicated on the 2280+ indicates the pritner is detecting problems with moving the print head. I would recomend trying the follwoing;
- Remove the ribbon from the printer, check this for damage or jamming. A jammed or damaged ribbon may prevent the print head moving. Perhaps try subsituting the ribbon for an alternative.
- Check for any paper jams, or other items with may heve been droped into the pritner which may obstruct the print head movement.
- With the printer powered OFF slide the print head backwards and forwards it should be free to move with the printer powered off.
- Clean the carriage shaft, this is the shaft which the print head moves along. This shaft should be clean of dust and dirt. It should NOT have any oil or other lubricant on it.
- Clean the timing strip, there is a thin transparent strip which runs accross the wodth on the pritner next to the carriage shaft, this is the timing strip. Take care not to dislodge this thin strip, clean any dust off this strip.
- Check the print head gap to ensure that the print head is not catching on the paper.
Finaly power the pritner off and back on, the error will not clear untill the pritner has been powered off and back on again.
Depeninding on your findings after trying the above, if the problem persists, I would recomend checking or perhaps replacing the following;
- Timing strip
- Timing station
- Carriage motor
- Carriage shaft
- Ribbon Drive
all these items can affect the free movement of the print head.