Question about GE Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Burnt smell in microwave

I microwaved a cup of tea, must have forgot to put in water, because i put in additional time and the teabag went on fire, now it has a burnt smell that does not go away no matter what i do.

Posted by on

  • Diane Curtis Feb 22, 2012

    solution helped a little the odor is not as bad, but it still smells.

×

1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 1 Answer

Hi Diane, that happened to me last year my daughter burned popcorn in microwave. I washed it out with baking soda and water, hot water. Then rinse it out good and place about a tsp. of baking soda in a small bowel with a little water set timer for 10 seconds on high power, this helps to nuetrilize the air flow and now you can use it with out any burn smell.

Posted on Feb 22, 2012

6 Suggested Answers

6ya6ya
  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi,
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
goodluck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

MicrowaveSvc
  • 9047 Answers

SOURCE: Burning smell from microwave

This is the waveguide cover / stirrer cover.

Quite often this is due to grease or food particles stuck to the inside of the oven or stuck on or behind the waveguide cover.

It can be fragile, and the metal edges of the oven behind it can be sharp, so be careful!

The cover and the metal behind it should be cleaned with a mild, non-ammonia cleaner.

If the cavity metal of the oven is chipped or charred, it will have to be sanded smooth and clean and dried thoroughly.

Then you can apply some high-temperature appliance paint, available from places like Wal-Mart, Lowe's or Builder's Square.

If your waveguide cover is burned, it will need to be replaced. It provides important protection for the magnetron.

Please reply back with your brand and model number so we can help you in obtaining parts.

Otherwise, you can usually find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

We're happy to help you and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Posted on Jul 21, 2008

  • 1462 Answers

SOURCE: Microwave

be very careful cos microwaves can kill - there is very high voltage present even when disconnected from mains. unplug from mains & leave for 1 hour. remove cabinet. there is a fuse which controls everything usually located near the transformer or where the mains cable enters. check fuse and replace. it needs to be the correct fuse for the appliance

Posted on Mar 28, 2007

cactus bob
  • 267 Answers

SOURCE: capacitor burned out? horrible burnt smell.

YOUR GOING TO NEED A NEW MICROWAVE . the cap may be bad but the real bad smell you have is most likely the HV tranformer , if the magntron shorts to ground there will be a small smell if you dont pick up on that and your microwave is set to run another few mins the transformer will overheat and burn , then the fuse blows and the controls shut down . the end result , you have more parts bad than you have good . if you google " GE SPACEMAKER MICROWAVE FIRE ' you will see your not the only one , its getting to be COMMON . good luck

Posted on Mar 08, 2009

  • 36 Answers

SOURCE: my microwave onen is not heating anything

I would suggest that the overheat stat on the magnetron has blown. If you are happy it's a simple thing to do but just make sure you disconnect from the mains before removing the cover and make sure that the High voltage capacitor is discharged. If you are not sure a qualified service tech will be able to fix this for you at little cost.

Hope this helps

Posted on Jan 07, 2010

Testimonial: "I think you have the right solution for my problem with the microwave. Thanks a lot."

  • 228 Answers

SOURCE: Bosch microwave HME9750

the sighn with a spoon inside is to alert you to the dangers of delayed boiling this is were the liquid in a container is heated on the outside quicker than the inside when you remove the liquid and expose it to the ambient air in your kitchen the liquid can boil over scalding your hand it doesnt have anything to do with your friends cup of tea this is pure coincidence the pop is the internal safety fuse blowing will need attn from service tech to sort high voltage safety fuse blowing means inverter or mag faults.

Posted on Jun 10, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%

my-video-file.mp4

Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add

×

Loading...
Loading...

Related Questions:

1 Answer

I burnet a styfoam, and plastic cover in the microwave. The smell is awful, like melted plastic and burnt wood. My entire house smells horrible. Is there some way to get the smell out.


Try pouring some vinegar in a cup and microwaving until the vinegar steams. This works well when burnt popcorn smells up the microwave.

...

Apr 21, 2016 | In Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Will the fuse in amicrowave cause the burnt smell


No! if the microwave still runs, mix water and vinegar in a cup, set timer for 60 seconds and run microwave oven until you see steam develop and turn off, this will bond to the interior walls and should solve the burnt smell problem, repeat if required.

May 19, 2012 | Kenmore Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

How to get a burnt smell out of mocrowave


Mix some vinegar in a cup of water, put in microwave and set for 60 seconds, {may need more time} and wait till it starts to steam {may need to repeat} this will bind itself to the interior eliminating the burnt smell.

May 16, 2012 | Rival Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have owned a AMC5101AAW for about three and a half years. It has been a good microwave,perfect for my needs. The display went black and the buttons didn't work right after I boiled a cup of water for...


It sounds like it could be just a bad crimp connector supplying power to the whole system, which would have to be the fuse holder on the mains input panel.
Worth a look!

Jan 01, 2011 | Amana AMC5101AAS Stainless Steel 1000...

3 Answers

Can i make tea in it and how.?


Hi,
Place you cup of water in the microwave with the tea bag in the cup....The run the microwave for 30 - 1 min. just like you were heating the water...

heatman101

Sep 15, 2010 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Microwave Not Working


Hi,
Here is a tip that will help you to figure out what is wrong with yourMicrowave Oven....

Basic Microwave Oven TroubleshootingTips

heatman101

Jul 09, 2010 | Whirlpool GT4185SK Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burning smell and won't heat.


If it buzzes real loud it's probably the high volyage diode. However some times if it smells it's the transformer. Usually the diode is a cheap fix ~$10.00 but this model the diode is $50. It's number 50 on the link below. Let me know how it works out or you need anything else.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/getSubComp.pd?modelNumber=JVM1440BH01&productCategoryId=0123370&brandId=0432&modelName=MICROWAVE&diagramPageId=00001&documentId=G0312014&pop=flush

Apr 19, 2009 | GE JVM1440 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE spacemaker xl1800 microwave "burnt paper" smell


Hey
There are several things you can do to help git rid of that smell
First get a mild cleaner with bleach (soft scrub ect!) and clean entire oven inside and try getting that scorch mark off! a little pressure should lessen it ! (there is no filter inside! The plastic inside covering holds smells for a long time! you can also put a cup of white vinigar inside warm on high for 1 minute and leave in overnight!
Please take a second and rate my response
Thank You1

Jan 23, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Burnt smell in microwave from burnt muffin in a GE microwave


Many solutions are found here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=microwave+smell+OR+odor&btnG=Google+Search

We're happy to help and we appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.

Dec 06, 2007 | GE JES738 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Microwave Ovens Logo

Related Topics:

374 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top GE Microwave Ovens Experts

D. E. Hev

Level 3 Expert

1167 Answers

 Larry
Larry

Level 2 Expert

115 Answers

Shekar Avadhani

Level 2 Expert

61 Answers

Are you a GE Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides

Loading...