Question about Sunbeam SMW777 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave burst into flames

Like the heading states, the micro burst into flames earlier today. Flames inside the unit coming from the panel on the side. Not the food or containers. No metal or foil, just flames from the inside of the unit into the the interior. Only 8 months old, manufactured in May 2005

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Sunbeam Master
  • 8,793 Answers
Re: Microwave burst into flames

That panel is called the waveguide cover. Its purpose is to protect the wavegudie and the magnetron from grease and food particles. When grease and/or food particles build up, they arc and spark. If it is not too damaged, it can be removed, cleaned, and reinstalled. You should also clean just inside the opening (waveguide) with a damp cloth, but be careful of the sharp edges. If it is too damaged, it will need to be replaced or the magnetron will eventually be damaged. If you can't get parts for this brand you can cut a new one out of waveguide material. I would take the old cover to an appliance parts store in your area. Once it is done, be sure to keep the cover clean. A sample photo of a waveguide cover is attached.

Posted on Nov 01, 2006

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Smell gas- does it have a pilot light?

I'm not sure about your question, if it is an ordinary ELECTRIC microwave oven you are not suppose to smell GAS although you could smell ION gas if the high voltage is leaking trough the insulator this means STOP USING IT and have it checked by a professional it could burst into flames... or it could be food leftover burning inside the chamber...

Good luck!

Jan 12, 2011 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Baked potatoes went up in flames now microwave has no power no lights. power outlet has 110v ac

Were the potatoes wrapped in foil? If so, the megatron tube was burned out. Replace unit.

Nov 06, 2009 | Kenmore 62622 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave JVM1660WB - Vent went up in flames

definitely time for a new filter.

your oven may be shalvagable. Id remove it all take the cover off to inspect for damage.

I hope this helps

No more flaming foods in the micro!

Sep 27, 2009 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Fire in micorwave

may be due to over heating in the thing

Apr 12, 2009 | LG LTM9000 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

GE Microwave dead

Chances are the flames opened the oven cavity TCO, which acts as a flame sensor.

There should be a "mini-manual" (tech sheet) hidden inside the unit behind the control panel or hidden on the left side behind the grille, which is very helpful when troubleshooting, testing, and locating components.

At our Web site, we have a video available showing how to remove a typical over the range control panel assembly in under 5 minutes.

You can also find helpful exploded view diagrams and order parts by entering your full model number here.

Accessing some components (cavity TCO) for testing and possible replacement will require you to remove the oven from the wall.

If so, the installation instructions are very handy, and it's best to have two people since the microwave can be heavy and awkward.

You can download GE owner's manuals and installation instructions here.

We're happy to help you with free advice and we'd appreciate your thoughtful rating of our answer.



Jan 31, 2009 | GE JVM2070 Microwave Oven

4 Answers

Goldstar MV1501W not heating or turntable, light/display does wrk

micro switch is bad .remove top vent cover 4 screws,after removing plastic vent panel you will see 1 screw above display time window,remove this screw and lift up the complete button time control panel slightly and pull towards you to remove.there are 2 connections on this panel 1 is a 12 pin connector and a 2 pin power connection remove both put control panel there are 3 micro switches where the door pins close into the oven lock,remove 2 screws that hold the micro switch housing,on the bottom of housing you will see a small clip gently pull to the right and push back to remove .there are 2 switches on bottom of it and 1 on top. the 1 on top is normally open and closes when door is shut but like mine it stayed open and resulted in (light s display but no turntable)soon as i replaced upper microswitch it runs perfect.i hope this helps .MODEL MV1501W GOLDSTAR

Dec 10, 2008 | Goldstar MV-1155 Microwave Oven

1 Answer

FIRE! Sharp Microhood turned itself on during the night!

this is unsual but yes you can file a complaint to the manufacturer, but it will take time to figure out what is the prob, and might take more investigation, isuggest dont use this anymore and change w another one

Nov 24, 2008 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

I have a sharp micro wave oven. Occasionally, when some foods are cooked or heated, you can see small bursts of blue flame. What I should do ? I only use microwave safe containers.

You probably have a burnt wave guide cover. Look inside the microwave either on the side or on the top, it's a square piece of mica board, and you should see a burnt spot on it. You should be able to replace it fairly easy with the model number I can check on a replacement for you.

Jul 09, 2008 | Sharp R-220HW Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Sunbeam SMW777 Microwave Oven Logo

1,223 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Sunbeam Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8793 Answers


Level 3 Expert

6993 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers

Are you a Sunbeam Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides