Question about Netopia (4686-XL) Router (4686XL)
I need to set up a VLAN on a Netopia 4686-XL router. 1 leg to go to the internet for an internal NATTED private network (say 192.168.9.0) and one to a wireless AP that will use a separate subnet: 192.168.99.0) and needs DHCP for that subnet. The two subnets should not be able to see each other. Or I need the location of the documentation to guide me through the process.... Thanks
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
You mean what program? Telnet. Here's the quick setup. If it's already been installed and password protected, you'll need to grab the installation guide somewhere else.
Posted on Aug 29, 2008
this is not so much a soloution but an idea!
from memory the netopia devices allow you to configure a dmz device by IP or MAC address.
I have had to do something similar but with a buffalo unit instead of your linksys. I ended up having to place the buffalo unitin into a dmz created on the netopia unit. before VPN tunnles were formed correctly.
Posted on Nov 06, 2008
HI! I bliv u are having some issue setting up ur router.. I will be more than glad to assist u. . here are the steps u need to do:
1. press the reset button on the back of the router for 20sec..while pressing the reset button, unplug the power plug and after 2secs while pressing the reset button plug it back in and press for 30secs after that unplug the router for 15secs then plug it back in..once all the lights are solid and ok
2. connect the ethernet cable to port1 of the router and the other end to the lan port of your computer..
3. pull up ur browser then type at the url:192.168.1.1.or 192.168.0.1 or u can check the routers default gateway by right clicking the network icon on the lower right of your task bar and click on status and it will show the ip address of the computer, subnetmask and default gateway, the default gateway is the routers ip address, once u type in to the url, it will ask u the username and password, by default the username is admin and the password is 1234 or just leave it blank
4. it will show the setup page of the router. u can set the router on the specific internet setup that u have.
a. if ur isp is a cable company, normaly u need to do a mac clone on the router setup page by cloning the computer that is reg to the cable company, how to determine it. ex. the computer that is reg to the cable company is a desktop or laptop, if this computer is connected to the modem directly and u can access internet.
b. once u determined it u need to connect this computer directly to the router and do a mac clone and set ur internet settings to auto-dhcp..then save the settings and after that, unplug to the power of the modem and router, plug in 1st the power of the modem then once all lights lit, plug in the router, then once all lights lit, try to pull up a browser that ur computer is connected directly to the router.. ur cable connection shud be, cable from the modem will go to the WAN port of the router and connect ethernet cable on port1 going to the lan port of the computer..once u can access the internet, u can now access again the setup page of the router by typing at the url:192.168.1.1 and u can setup the wireless settings, u need to create a ssid or wireless name and a security..
5. If ur isp is a dsl normaly they give u a username and password to connect to the internet, ur settings on the router should be PPPoe
6. If ur isp gives u a static ip address settings, u need to set the router to isp setup.
a. how to check the isp of the isp given to u..
1. click on start
3. type cmd
4. it will show a dos prompt
5. from the dos prompt type ipconfig/all
6. it will list the ip address, subnet, default gateway, dns server
this settings should be type in to the settings on the router for static ip addressing..
7. Once your done on the innternet setting, go to your wireless connection settings and you can create a wireless network name or ssid, set a security by selecting wep, wpa, wpa2.
8. once all is set. save the settings and to check if your laptop can access the wireless network that you did, turn on the wireless switch of your laptop, once its on, it will show the wireless network icon on the lower right of the taskbar, right click it and select on view available network, the network name that u did should list, just select it and connect and it will ask for the password, just type the password and connect, you should be connected to the wireless network and have internet access..
9. If you are going to hook up your desktop to the wireless connection, you need to install a wireless network adapter, install the driver and do the same thing as u did to the laptop, for the desktop no need of turning on the wireless switch, once you install the driver correctly, it will show a network icon..
if you have any querry pls feel free to get in touch.. good luck
Posted on Sep 03, 2009
First Option :
Connect your computer directly thru Router LAN Port. now
If your Computer is configured thru Static IP address then change it get IP address thru DHCP. and Re start the computer. So it will get IP address from Router and you will be able to access Router Admin thru browser.
You will have to reset router to factory defaults. To do that ; There will be Tiny Hole or Switch on Router Back side or front side.
Using strait Paper Clip wire ; Put in that wire in that hole and give very light pressure for 5 to 10 second. Make sure that router is Power ON.
So your router will be resetted to Factory default. Now reconfigure it
Posted on Mar 09, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Mar 13, 2014 | EnGenius Computers & Internet
Nov 14, 2013 | Netopia Computers & Internet
Jun 07, 2012 | Arris Netopia 3346NENT Broadband Router...
Before You Start
Telnet into the Netopia router's Main Menu at 192.168.1.1 (if using the default IP setting). If your network has a different IP addressing scheme, modify this accordingly. Click Here! for instructions on using telnet and Hyperterminal (serial connection).
Login with the user name and password. The Superuser login is required to save changes. If you are unsure of this, contact your network administrator.
Don't forget to press the Enter key to save any entries. Hitting the back space, delete or tab without first hitting enter will undo any changes.
The Esc key will take you back towards the main menu screen.
Once you have completed your configuration, you should reboot the Netopia to save and apply your changes.
The Netopia Main Menu Interface
Server List Configuration
You have now configured your router for TCP/UDP port forwarding. If you have a switched connection (ISDN or Analog), you will need to either disconnect and reconnect your Internet connection, or restart your router for the Nat Server List changes to take effect. If you wish to filter traffic for your static IP mappings, please see the following Netopia Technote:
NQG_039: NAT and the Basic Firewall
Nov 12, 2010 | Netopia CAYMAN 3387W-ENT CABLE/DSL...
Jun 13, 2009 | Cisco 1711 Security Access Router...
Mar 27, 2009 | Zyxel IP Express IES-1000 (91004098002)
May 24, 2008 | Netopia ADSL 2+ MODEM 10/100 EN AND USB...
Apr 05, 2017 | Netopia (4686-XL) Router (4686XL)
68 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: