- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I have had this same issue with continuous sparking after a burner was lit. Problem 1. Wet or dirty ignitors/burners. Solution: clean and/or dry (I assume this resolves electrical issues). This has usually solved the problem Problem 2. Stuck or dirty control switch. Solution: remove knobs and spray electrical-cleaner into switches. AMAZING... no more clicking plus burners now burn hotter when set to HI. I assume this frees-up the movement of the switch to prevent it thinking you are pushing it ON... and thus asking for spark... plus greater range of switch and/or higher flame settings available once lit. A no-cost miracle! ( I used "PureTronics" brand Electrical Contact Cleaner spray can, 1 sec, 2X). Mike S
I had a problem with a new install of a gas cooktop. The auto-igniter would keep on clicking and wouldn't stop. After examining the wiring diagram, I saw that the igniter was looking for a ground potential to tell it to turn off. Checked the wall outlet and found the outlet had been wired incorrectly. Reversed the wiring AND ran a separate ground wire back to the breaker panel. Problem solved.
Electric gas igniters sometimes get stuck in one position causing a clicking sound. The clicking sound that you hear is the electric arc that is pulsing from the igniter conductor (wire) to ground (the gas burner). It receives power from the electrical outlet that the stove is plugged into.
Residue from food and sometimes cleaning products may be preventing the igniter from producing a spark (Arc) to the base of the burner. This is a common problem that occurs when the stove has been cleaned or food is allowed to build up. Make sure that the igniter and the burner base are clean and dry. This will help with proper operation. Oven cleaner and a small tooth brush may be used to accomplish this. Another problem with ignition may occur if you have too little (touching) or too much space between the igniter and the base of the burner; it will prevent the burner from igniting. You should only have a little more space than the thickness of a nickel between the burner base and the igniter. A good “blue” arc from the igniter to the burner base is optimal. If this doesn’t work, you may need to replace the electric igniter module. Good luck.
If you can hear the clicking sound but are not getting a spark then there is probably a short in the ignition system. Check for any loose wires on the ignition system. Make sure all the wires are properly seated. Make sure the spark module is properly grounded. As far as testing the spark module it should be generating a spark of course. The problem is that the average voltage for the spark module is 15,000 VDC so actual testing of that voltage can be difficult. Is the spark erratic?(should spark evenly). An erratic spark timing is a sign of a bad spark module. Is the spark slow? Check the polarity of the electrical plug. If it is clicking evenly then it is probably arcing somewhere inside the cooktop and you just need to find out where. Also be aware that if you get water into the cooktop that can cause possible grounding of the spark module or ignition system.
01/26/09 My wife decided to give our Jenn-Air a good cleaning. With lot's of soapy warm water she pulled the knobs off and washed under each of them not realizing excess water was now running down the inside of each control knob shaft. The igniter immediately began clicking away as it was being shorted by the conductance of the water now inside of the switch. I had to remove the cover (2-screws) to access the control switches but that is all I needed to do do in order to have clear access. Using her hair dryer it took about 5 minutes of warm air blowing down each of the shafts until the water evaporated and the clicking stopped. Wahla. The old Jenn-Air is back to working order again.
1) try leaving it off for a while to see if the ingition box needs to reset
2)when you turn on the burnner does the ignition start by itself or do you have to "ignite" the burnner yourself?
3) if oyu have to ignite the burnner yourself, try using a bbq lighter to see if the gas has gotten to your range yet.
4) if no gas present, there is ussually a reset in the regulator. it needs to be reset if it gets low on pressure. you need to have the lines connected and then turn on the gas AND then the appliance. if the appliance is turned on before the gas in turned on the rest will pop.
lets us know what happens :)