Sansa e280 goes to glitch screen after trying to refresh database
Ok so basically whats happening is i added a bunch of new songs to my e280, all of them non-viral, and then i unplugged it so it could restart, and then it goes to the "Refresh Database" screen, gets about a third of the way finished, them the screen goes to the really wierd glitch screen, its kinda like a scrolling retro pattern and its really bugging me. any and all help you can offer is appreciated.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
When the Sansa reads "refreshing database," what it is doing is going through all the songs you've loaded on to it, pulling out the "tag" information (Artist, Album, Song Title, Genre) so it can add this information to its own database which it uses to display the songs to you in its menus.
If it gets stuck during this process, usually it's because of a corrupt song file, or a song file in a format it doesn't understand.
Note that the e280 is only able to play MP3 and WMA audio formats. If you've loaded a different type of audio file onto your Sansa, you'll need to remove them.
If the songs you've recently loaded have all been MP3 and/or WMA, you may have loaded a corrupted file onto your Sansa. Try removing the songs you recently added, and see if the problem goes away.
"Refresh database" is a normal message that you will get everytime you unplug the Sansa from the computer - don't worry about that aspect.
If the songs that you have transferred have DRM encryption on them, they may not play right (or at all) on the Sansa.
If you have Windows Media Player 11, I would get the firmware update from the Sansa website AND format the Sansa inside Windows Media Player:
for the firmware,
for the format, http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/DriverDownloads.aspx
Erases Everything: Connect your Sansa player to the computer and open Windows Media Player. Click on the Sync tab. Pull down the drop down menu underneath the Sync tab by moving your cursor over the Sync tab and left clicking on the little black arrow underneath the Sync tab. Highlight "Sansa 1GB" (wording may vary slightly), and then select "Format." - this should erase everything and get your player functioning normally.
The simple answer is to edit the genre data of your hard rock songs from "Hard Rock" to "HardRock" (remove the space). This sounds stupid but it causes the e280 to freeze during the refresh database phase after writing songs to the device.
I've also noticed that some genres are renamed from what they actually are. Soul, for example, shows up as Punk in the genre list of the e280. Southern Rock displays as Comedy. Mine has version 3.01.11 firmware. I renamed "Soul" to "Soul-" to get rid of the Punk tag, and "Southern Rock" to "SouthernRock" to get rid of the Comedy tag. "Ballad" shows up as "unknown" so I change it to "SoftRock" to solve that issue.
I haven't tried other genres so if you don't have any hard rock songs on your player, try renaming the genres tags to something else to see if it solves your problem.
Take out the four screws on the back and pop out the battery then put it back on. Make sure you synced the songs properly. Add to the problem how you added your songs and I might be able to help.