At first when I used the automatic sensor - for microwaving a potato it shut off before it was done. It did that for awhile. Now it just doesn't work. It shuts off immediately. Is this a fixable problem for the home handyman or should a microwave repair person be called in or should I just throw it out. It 3 years old and not used very much.
Also, are there schematics that I can locate on the Internet or from maybe GE?
a 6ya Repairman can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US. click here to Talk to a Repairman (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The magnetron may have been damaged, the thermal fuse will shut down the microwave to stop further damage and reset itself in 20 to 30 minutes, since that has not happened I recommend a professional at this point.
mwaves shut off when they overheat and take a time to recover. This is a failsafe to prevent fire.make sure the unit has plenty of airflow around it and the vents are not blocked off ( hutches are notorious for overheating Mwaves) Sometimes the steam from a potato or a cup of water will overheat the sensor and cause it to shut down.
If it is a fuse the whole outer case hasd to be removed and it's usua;;y top left or right on the inner pod.
Not much info to go on here. Are you putting in the number of potatoes vs.the cook time? Most microwave potato functions would not read "5 minutes." It would be read as a request to cook 500 hundred potatoes.
Is not normal for a microwave to shutdown after 4 minutes of operation.
From the info you are providing, It looks like the magnetron might be overheating causing the thermal fuse to shut it down until it cools down. There may also be a loose connection in one of the switches or a cold solder joint in the low voltage power supply.
I would suggest to check and make sure that the fans are functional, If always did; it could be that there isn't much air circulation where the appliance was installed.
Please contact your home insurance to have the problem logged as a failure of the microwave. The insurance company will most likely help you with the smoke damage to the house and will contact the manufacturer to get their money back... there might be an issue with the manufacturing of these appliances.
We had the same problem with our brand new Magic Chef. Before going through the trouble of taking it back I called Home Depot. After talking to a Home Depot Rep I am told that the overheat sensor is under the glass plate directly beneath the popcorn bag. Popcorn gets very hot and the heat of the popcorn causes the sensor to shut the machine down. I would imagine this would be the same for a baked potato.
Very poor design.
I was told to put a microwave safe plate down and put the popcorn bag on it. This should help to reduce the heat and not trip the sensor.
A safety sensor is great, but not if it keeps tripping the machine and shutting down!