Question about Alpine MRV-F357 Car Audio Amplifier

1 Answer

Amp heats up quickly, melts fuses and shut down after a while

Hello, We just installed this amp and all of the channels work fine but in a short period of time and even w/o the sub channel connected, the amp heats up very quick and it melts fuses ( it burned one fuse, but the other one melt but continued working). And after a while it turns off. Hope someone can help me. thanks, Vic

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.


    An expert who has answered 20 questions.


    An expert that has over 10 points.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 2 times.

  • Contributor
  • 55 Answers

It sounds like the power cable you have may be too small. If you're using an 8 gauge for both the power and the ground, try switching to a 4 gauge for both.

Posted on Aug 24, 2006


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How can i get a replacement 5 amp 125 volt fuse for a holmes twin widow fan

It's worth noting here that it's more about the physical size & shape of the Fuse thats needed to fit your Fan.
You don't have to use exactly a 5 amp @ 125v fuse.
Any fuse that Fits and is in the range of 5,6,7,8,10 Amp and even 230v is ok.
The fuse is like a piece of soft metal that will melt if too much current is being drawn by the device. The Amps & Volts only define approximately when the fuse link will melt (blow). But as the fan gets dirty and older the LOAD it draws might get slightly higher. Enough to cause the fuse to slowly melt. So a small to 6, 8, or 10 Amp should work just fine. A wiring short will still cause the 10 Amp fuse to blow thereby keeping things safe. The manufacturer uses a fuse that fits in the space he has allocated & allows the unit to run continuously without blowing on a slight load.
But it is only a safety device to protect the device from internal shorts.
It stops a shorted motor or shorted internal wiring from getting too hot and possibly causing a fire.
But a 20 or 30Amp fuse would still blow if it is shorted.
For example...If the 5 A fuse keeps blowing then you could try say an 8 or 10 Amp fuse. If that blows then their is definitely a problem with the circuit. Don't put anything larger than 10 Amp in.
It then needs to be looked at by a service technician.

The voltage rating on a household fuse isn't that critical.
It's actually the wattage it takes to melt the fuse link. It's based on the mathematics of Ohms Law (Watts =Volts x Amps)
But thats another story....

Jul 16, 2014 | Holmes Products Dryers

1 Answer

My infinit 300 watt amp was working fine till recently it blew a fuse. i went to install the new fuse but as soon as it made contact to the holder it sparked and melted the tip of the fuse. i checked all...

I sounds like it because if their was a short to ground in the power wire the fuse would have melted if you did not connect the ground cable.

Jul 28, 2011 | Car Audio & Video

1 Answer

The battery went dead when I tryed to start in cold weather,I removed the battery and charged it back up, However when I put the battery back in the car started and ran for about five minutes when it shut...

You have a dead short across that fuse, The end opposite the battery will probably show a ground rather than a resistive load. You are going to have to find that short and fix it. A dead short on a 60 Amp fuse is a heavy load. That fuse is probably preventing a fire or melted harness wires.

Jan 25, 2011 | 1991 Honda Civic

1 Answer

Electrical short in the subwoofer

You're quite right when a fuse blows there's a short. The short will be in either the power supply section, or the main amp. You will be looking for a semi-conductor of some sort. A multi meter on the ohm setting will track it down quick if it's a transistor. As the meter scale will be just like you have touched the probes together. Follow the circuit back from the fuse. Check any part that you suspect. If the sub uses an IC power amp, it could be a strong suspect!

Jul 11, 2010 | Onkyo SKW-210 Subwoofer

2 Answers

I drove the car for about two hours and smelled something burning for a minute(Melted 15 amp fuse under dash for Ignition) The holder that holds several fuses was pretty warm, indicating some type of a...

There could be a lot of issues here. It sounds like you may have a short somewhere. You need to check everything with a multimeter, and possibly replace the fuse block or other wiring.
Thank you,

Nov 28, 2009 | Suzuki Samurai Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Maytag Performa PYE2200AYW Dryer Heats intermittently

i had the same problem with my dryer and i installed the wrong thermal fuse for gas dryer which calls for a pink thermal fuse in which i installed and it works fine also check the lint in the front of your dryer. also my dryer which is the same make as yours seems will run on the fluff cycle until i replaced the right thermal fuse. my dryer run exceptionally hot and eventally shut down and it only run on the fluff cycle for any length of time.

Aug 03, 2009 | Maytag Dryers

1 Answer

Subs will not work right.

the subs coils are melted and shorting out so the amp shuts off

Apr 22, 2009 | AudioBahn AW1206T Car Subwoofer

1 Answer

Nad C320 right channel stops working then comes back again

This sounds like the "pre-amp" section is cutting out or there is some interruption in the signal path. A few things to try:

1) With the unit off, try "working" the volume,balance and tone controls. This means, turn them up and down a number of times to clear any debris that may be in the controls themselves.

2) Work the input selector switch the same way if it is a rotary switch.

3) Try turning on/off the tape monitor switch a few times.

4) Keep track of whether this problem is sensitive to heat. Does teh channel shut down more quickly once the unit has been on for a while?

Lastly, if you can solder, look for any solder joint that appears grainy or has rings and resolder it.

Update this with your results and we'll continue on...


Jan 15, 2009 | NAD C320 2-Channel Amplifier

1 Answer

Lost one channel on the Sonic Impact Super-T amp

The output device on that channel will have blown. Look at the output device for that section by following the leads back from the plug, Anything with a heat sink on it is the best bet for the fault.

Dec 31, 2008 | Sonic Impact Technologies Super T...

1 Answer

Crown xti2000 cuts off

The protection circuit is most likely shutting down the amp because of heat. When the amp shuts down, does it feel hot? If not, then further investigation into the protection circuit will be necessary. This is not a problem that is likely to be diagnosed remotely as measurements will be required internally once the amp has stopped working. Check the sepaker wires for shorts that will cause the amp to work extra hard (generating extra heat). Other than that, you will need a servicer to diagnose further.


Nov 23, 2008 | Crown XTi 2000 2-Channel Amplifier

Not finding what you are looking for?
Car Audio & Video Logo

Related Topics:

117 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Alpine Car Audio & Video Experts

xxxxxx xxx

Level 3 Expert

4905 Answers


Level 2 Expert

150 Answers

Tygh Duval
Tygh Duval

Level 2 Expert

300 Answers

Are you an Alpine Car Audio and Video Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides