Question about Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Hi, I recently got a Dell Inspiron 1501. I went to go check out a video online and realized to my utter surprise that there was no sound so I proceeded to check the volume levels and it said no sound device detected. I'm running Windows Vista Home Basic on this laptop and I've already checked the device manager to look for yellow or red marks and there is nothing. I checked under sound and it said basic speakers and that no drivers had been installed for it yet. So I tried running update driving thinking the internet would pick it up and it said that it could not find a better driver. I'm very confused. I don't even know what type of driver to look for in order to manually install drivers or why it wouldn't even detect the sound card in the first place. Any suggestions please or is anyone else having the same problem?
To make sure that you will be able to download the correct driver of your laptop, go to support.dell.com,click driver and downloads, enter the service tag of your computer that is the 7 alpha numeric characters found on your laptop, or you can go to your bios press f2 when you see the dell logo and you will see there the system setup try to find your service tag, once you had enter it on support.dell.com, all of your appropriate drivers that came with your system will show up, but if for example your operating systems is windows xp then you change to vista check if there is a drop down box there to change the os, if not click on the search box on the support.dell.com and then type in the name of your audio card and then put vista ( example sigmatel driver vista).
Posted on Oct 31, 2008
The driver for your computer can be downloaded from the following link
1. Click Download Now, to download the file.
2. When the File Download window appears, click Save (Windows XP users will click Save) this program to disk and click OK. The Save In: window appears.
3. From the Save In: field, click the down arrow then click to select Desktop and click Save. The file will download to your desktop.
4. If the Download Complete window appears, click Close. The file icon appears on your desktop.
1. Double-click the new icon on the desktop. For example labeled R12345.EXE.
2. The Self-Extracting window appears and prompts you to extract or unzip to C:DELLDRIVERSR12345.EXE. (Example path). Write down this path so the executable (Example - Setup.exe) file can be found later.
3. The Self-Extractor window appears.
4. Click OK.
5. After completing the file extraction, if the Self-Extractor window is still open, close it.
6. Click the Start button and then click Run.
7. Type C:DELLDRIVERSR12345 in the Open textbox and then click OK.
8. Follow the on-screen installation instructions.
Posted on Oct 25, 2008
The driver is not really the problem. In order for the Dell 1501 Inspiron to recognize the driver you first have to activate the Hi-Def audio bus. Download and run KB835221 from Microsoft. This will activate the bus and the computer will now recognize the device. If the driver is present it will install itself....if not install Dell R134779 or Dell R134879 SigmaTel driver.
This applies to many other pc's where HD Audio device is not recognized.
Posted on Jan 15, 2010
Chk the bios if the onboard sound card is enebled or not ?
Posted on Oct 31, 2008
I did what you said and was told that it was not the correct driver for the 1501 system.
Posted on Oct 30, 2008
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 14, 2011 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Nov 02, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Aug 23, 2010 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Dec 09, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Nov 02, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Oct 31, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1521-JB Notebook
Sep 24, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1525 Laptop
Mar 27, 2009 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Nov 02, 2008 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
Oct 29, 2008 | Dell Inspiron 1501 Notebook
8,730 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!