Question about GE Microwave Ovens
It ownt heat the food, just makes grinding noise
Posted by Anonymous on
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Ge jvm1860 microwave oven
Rotu is right - it certainly could be crud on the waveguide vcover or waveguide. If not, it might very well be be a bad magnetron. My understanding is that GE had a run of bad magnetrons and/or other problems in the high voltage section, but I don't know if they publicly acknowledged it. If it's not a dirty waveguide problem, I would contact GE or an authorized servicer. If you don't have a manual, you can download it here: http://www.geappliances.com/service_and_support/literature/
Posted on Oct 18, 2006
You either have a bad magnetron tube (5 or 10 year parts warranty item through GE Factory Service 1-800-432-2737 or www.geappliances.com) or a shorted high voltage rectifier. I think the light being out is a secondary problem.
Posted on Dec 20, 2008
You have burned out the magnatron (heating element) which is common on GE microwaves. most service companies will charge about 200-250 to replace it
Posted on Jan 31, 2009
Your problem is due to the "magnetron" arcing to the wave guide within the microwave. Picture someone arc-welding stuff together inside the microwave casing, that's essentially what's happening. It is a fire hazard and you should stop using the microwave immediately. As far as I know, there isn't a recall on that particular model (though there was on another similar Kenmore/Whirlpool model) so if it's out of warranty, you're out of luck.
Posted on May 01, 2009
hello Frank. Sorry to tell you that the magnetron is going bad and making that terrible noise. Since the inside of a microwave, even unplugged has up to 2000 residual and deadly volts of electricity I recommend either calling a pro or replacing the unit.
Posted on Jul 12, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 14, 2013 | Microwave Ovens
Oct 04, 2010 | GE Microwave Ovens
Jun 04, 2010 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Oct 03, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Sep 27, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jul 31, 2009 | GE Spacemaker JVM1640SJ Microwave Oven
Jul 15, 2009 | General Electric Microwave Oven
Apr 12, 2009 | GE XL1800 1100 Watts Microwave Oven
Jan 31, 2009 | GE JVM1860 Microwave Oven
36 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!