Question about Goldstar MW-1420 1200 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Lightning inside microwave oven

My ~4 yrs old 1000 watt microwave oven has started a nasty habit of acting like an arc welder every 5th time we run the unit (or so). I removed a cardboard cover on the right-hand inside wall to reveal a metal cylinder with holes in the end that seems to have a burn hole in the top. It looks like if I had a new cylinder things might work well. Is it time to throw it in the trash?

Posted by on

1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 3,130 Answers
Re: lightning inside microwave oven

You better be carefull my friend or you will start glowing in the dark!! LOL Just kidding. But I wont kid about how dangerous that metal cylinder can be with the holes in the top. Thats the magnatron. It has very high voltage going to it and you should never ever touch any wires going to it even if its unplugged as theres a capacitor in there that holds a charge for a time. f the oven is over several years old, Im sure the magnatron will cost more then a new oven, after you add labor and such. It just migfht be time to upgrade to a new microwave?? Good Luck

Posted on Aug 11, 2006

Add Your Answer

0 characters

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add


3 Points

Related Questions:

1 Answer

Clicking noise when going

Sounds like a high voltage arcing. possible transformer or insulation failure causing an overload. Not a recommended consumer fix.

Feb 28, 2015 | Whirlpool Jet Chef 31 Litre 1000 Watt...

1 Answer

Convection/microwave turntable motor arcing; 7 yrs old is it worth fixing

If arcing and is seven years old time to replace the item, more cost effective with full warranty.

Mar 05, 2012 | Microwave Ovens

1 Answer

Buzzing sound... Turntable stopped. food heats up but uneven. No microwave fan when heating.. no light inside expensive fix?? Unit is 10 years old

If the microwave oven is 10 years old then it is time to consider a new unit, by your description it is going into cascade failure where different parts have stopped working, the buzzing sound is the magnetron warning you, it is about to fail. The fans job is to keep the magnetron cool while it is running.

Mar 08, 2011 | GE JVM1850 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

The white rectangle on the top of the inside of the microwave has a hole burned in it. What does that mean?

The waves won't be spread like they should, with the area right below the hole getting way more energy than the rest of the food. The new part will be around $22. I had to break the old part in getting it off. The new part will show you how it is attached and how to install it. The most substantial part goes in the back (the part that acts like a hinge), and the snap-in area goes in the front. It pops right in and the energy once again flows all over the microwave. I got the idea that the cover acted as a diffuser. Also, I was told the reason this happened is because whatever was being heated didn't have enough moisture in it, therefore it was as if the microwave were being run with nothing in it, and the wave were directed back to the cover instead of being absorbed. I was instructed to next time put a cup of water in with whatever I was heating at the time of the problem.

Feb 13, 2011 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

My JVM1653 loses power after 3 minutes of heating

it may have been the hi voltage at the magnetron,but the shut down is your heat thermocouple mounted on the magnetron side and when the mag overheats this thermocouple opens up and shuts off power to the mag to prevent overheating and fire

Apr 17, 2010 | GE JVM1650 1000 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer

Microwave starts running on it's own

There is a short in the cntrol board. I have seen problems arise like this from mice, spiders and other insects. Power fluctuations can also trick the control into activating. ERIC

Aug 15, 2009 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Microwave no power

How can you take the fuse out on this model KHMS 155LSS-4 of kitchenaid

Jan 06, 2009 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Microwave Arcing

The metal shelf that comes with most microwave ovens must NEVER come in contact with any surface of the cavity wall or arcing will occur. (this is why its is mounted on plastic clips). IF you are not using the shelf to cook multiple items (as most people don't)....Remove the shelf and store somewhere else until needed.

Jun 06, 2008 | KitchenAid KHMS155LSS 1000 Watts Microwave...

1 Answer

Emerson 1000 Watt Microwave

There is a good possibility that microwave energy is leaking near the magnetron tube, or some other high voltage electrical problem is occurring. I would recommend having it tested by qualified microwave repair technician. A few things you can do....
-Make sure the door seal is clean and no corrosion.
-Check the interior for rust spots or holes and make sure it's clean inside.

Jan 16, 2008 | Emerson MW8102SS 1100 Watts Microwave Oven

1 Answer


I would say the high voltage diode blew.

If you or a friend decide to look into it, we have critical safety and disassembly information at our site, linked here on Fixya:

You can get Sharp parts from Tritronics at

If it's not the high voltage diode, reply back for further help.

Oct 24, 2007 | Sharp R-1610 Microwave Oven

Not finding what you are looking for?
Goldstar MW-1420 1200 Watts Microwave Oven Logo

182 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Goldstar Microwave Ovens Experts

William Miller
William Miller

Level 3 Expert

8795 Answers


Level 2 Expert

224 Answers


Level 3 Expert

2119 Answers

Are you a Goldstar Microwave Oven Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides